Math for 4th, 5th, or 6th grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by paheidi, Oct 4, 2007.

1. paheidi

paheidi Rookie

Oct 4, 2007

Hi everyone! I have a question. What are fourth, fifth, and sixth graders learning in math at those grade levels? I have a differentiated lesson plan due at the end of the month and need to know what is taught in these grades to do my lesson. Thanks! :)

3. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Oct 4, 2007

I teach 4th and we spend most of the year getting the kids really fluent in multiplication and division of larger (thousands) numbers. We also do fractions, geometry, probability, and graphing. Our 5th grade moves into decimals, percents, and more in-depth frations (converting, simplifying, etc.)

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 4, 2007

paheidi, there's probably some kind of document on the PA dept. of education Web site that spells out what it is that kids are supposed to learn in what grades. In California one consults the Content Standards document in math, which breaks the curriculum down by grade.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2007

Your state Department of Ed is really your best bet, as the specifics of what is taught in which grade can vary widely from place to place.

6. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Oct 5, 2007

I teach 5th Math in Alabama and we have to do Place Value to the billions, two/three digit multiplication, two divisor division, add/subtract/multiply/divide decimals, perimeter, area, measurement, probability, and a lot of things with fractions (multiplying, simplifying, etc)

7. paheidi

paheidi Rookie

Oct 5, 2007

Thanks everyone! I never thought to look at the standards, but that would probably work the best. Thanks!