Math- Fill in Notes or Student Takes Notes?

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by newtothis2006, Aug 16, 2009.

1. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

I would like to know from those of you who teach 6th grade math if you have your students complete fill in the blank notes or take notes themselves? I have done fill in the blank notes but have found the kids are concentrating more on filling in the information rather than really processing what is being taught.... Also, I don't think the majority of them use them as an aide for homework or to study. Our principal has mentioned Cornell Notes. What has been your experience with fill in the blank and student note taking at this age level? Also if you have experience with Cornell Notes I'd appreicate you sharing that as well.

Thanks!

3. jenn07

jenn07 New Member

Aug 16, 2009

My 6th graders take their own math notes. I have them bring their own colored pencils to use to highlight vocab words and/or steps in a particular algorithm. I think taking their own at this age is a great way for them to learn to be more organized on the paper. I am thinking of doing notebook checks this year as part of their grade to encourage them to keep their notes neat.

4. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

I use Cornell Notes that I have adapted to fit Math. Most incoming 6th graders have never taken "real" notes in their life and it is a skill that I teach them throughout the year. Throughout the first half of the year when I teach a new lesson I do it on my own Cornell Notes on the document camera and they follow along. If you PM me your email I can send you the template :)

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2009

I give great notes!

I put up the basic definitions and concepts as they come along, in the correct mathematical terms.

But then, as we complete a procedure, I write "process" on the board. I ask my class, "OK, what kind of problem is this?" and write down their response ("Finding a common denominator.")

Then I ask: "What did we do first?" and write down their response in their words (tweaked a little as necessary to ensure mathematical correctness.) I always leave the last example up on the board so I can point to the spot in the problem they're up to.

And so on down the problem. What they're left with is a user's manual for my class.