Math field trips

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Elcsmith, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Sep 10, 2008

Has anyone ever taken a field trip relating to math goals? What were they? We're a school in improvement this year bc of math and why not try some hands on! I just can't think of any. Second grade.

3. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Sep 11, 2008

I don't know what your math goals are, but you could almost go anywhere I think and find a way to relate it to math. It might as simple as going to a store and having a list where they have to find out how much things are, add them up, or figure out how much they can get with their 'play' money or whatever the case might be! lol Or well it wouldn't be a field trip, but bring in grocery adds from home and doing the same kind of idea bringing those in. I think you could go just about anywhere and plan it to what you want to achieve with your math goals as a focus :)

4. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Sep 11, 2008

I take my class miniature golfing. They must predict how many putts they think it will take to make it in the hole. Then they must write down exactly what they putted. You could have them come back and add up their predictions and actual putts and compare the numbers.... First graders aren't quite ready for that!

5. elky

elky New Member

Sep 11, 2008

A good resource is to contact a local historical or science museum. Most will have some programs that they do for different grade levels.

You could go to the zoo and have students graph animals that were eating/sleeping/playing.

Historical buildings are often good for geometry.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 11, 2008

The movie theater...not to see a movie, but to get a tour of the place. They could add up the prices for tickets, soda, popcorn and snacks, basic proportions with the projector, graph the nummber of times each movie is shown per day, or how many people see each movie (or both, and compare and see if they can find the relationship between number of showings and number of people).

7. NUMB3RSFAN

NUMB3RSFAN Rookie

Sep 12, 2008

Have you thought about Math Walks? The way I've seen them done is you break the students into groups with a chaperon and provide them with a bag of materials (ruler, calculator, graph paper, pencils..etc). Then you go to a zoo/museum and hand them a packet of questions that they need to answer regarding different exhibits in the museum/animals in the zoo. For example, in a zoo you could ask them to count the number of gorillas that are in an exhibit or if they can measure the distance from a bench to the window of the exhibit. Or in a museum, ask them to count the number of bones a particular dinosaur has. Whatever you can come up with that gets them to actually stop and look at the exhibits rather than just run around and pretend they've been looking at the exhibits. Plus, it is kind of fun to go with some other teachers a few weeks before and make up the questions! :)

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 12, 2008

Even if you just go to the playground, you can measure angles on playground equipment. Kids can also 'act out' angles and geometric figures.