Math facts (timed quizzes)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ashley57, Oct 13, 2007.

1. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Oct 13, 2007

Anyone do timed math tests to build up speed with math facts (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division)?

If so, how long do you give them (and how many facts)?

Are there any resources available online?

3. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2007

I've had test with 60 problems that I gave 3 minutes for in the past. Last year the tests had 30 problems so I gave them 1:30. I expected my first graders to get at least 25 problems to pass.

My former school had a set standard of how many problems per minute so that's where I got the 60 at 3 minutes.
    My current school doesn't have a set standard and in fact the math curriculum doesn't recommend doing them. My super wants us to be true to the curriculum to see if it's worth it, so I'm not sure if I'm going to do them this year.

4. maroki

maroki Comrade

Oct 13, 2007

Last year they had a timed 1 minute test every day, alternating between addition and subtraction (addition was 3 days a week and subtraction was 2).

Last year I didn't necessarily have leveled tests, but instead started with addition facts 0-6, then moved onto 0-10, and so forth.

This summer I bought leveled addition and subtraction math minute books, and I'm looking forward to using them with my class this year. I still plan on having 1 minute tests and alternating addition and subtraction, but I don't start until after Winter Break, because my students aren't fluent enough with math facts before break. I really build it up before break that we are going to be starting it after break, and they get really excited about it...

5. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Oct 13, 2007

I am at an Investigations school that discourages timed tests in general, we are more about the concepts and explaining strategies. However, I gave math timed tests printed off FASTT Math, a fluency program available through Scholastic. The students did FASTT Math almost daily and had focus facts they worked on during each session. Once they mastered those, new facts were introduced. I gave them timed tests printed off the program. The tests were a combination of the facts they had mastered and were currently focusing on. There were a total of 30 questions and I gave them a minute to do this. However, according to program, they should have been able to answer those facts in less than a second each.

6. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Oct 13, 2007

I used Mad Minute worksheets and had a book that I copied them from, but I just Googled "mad minutes" and found some sites that have things you can print out. With fourth graders, I did a Mad Minute every Friday. When the student passed the test, they moved on to the next level.

Another fun way to review math facts is to have math fact races on the white board. Have 2 or more students make a t shape with a times sign in the upper left part of the t. Number from 0 or 1 through 10 or 12 down the lower left part of the t. When they all have this done, give them a fact like 3's. They write the number 3 in the upper right part of the t and then write the multiples of 3 down the lower right part of the t. The first student done with all the multiples correct wins. Sometimes I would challenge the students myself which they thought was fun.

7. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Oct 13, 2007

Buy MASTERING MATH FACTS!!! It's a program that I swear by!!

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 14, 2007

We also do Investigations, and mastering math facts isn't stressed at school. I do 60 problems, 4 days a week, untimed. We begin math on those days with the problem sheet, or they do the sheet, then play fact games while I work with small groups. I tell parents to practice at home. It's important to me that they master them, but I am not timing them this year, just to see.

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 14, 2007

I host a math facts tournament every year for 3-6. The kids love it. Let me know if you would like details...

10. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Oct 18, 2007

We do Rocket Math. It's timed-testing, but can be paced at the students level. With my 4th graders, we started in the multiplication book. Each day the students practice with a partner for a few minutes and then take a 1 minute-40 question timed test. They really enjoy it and it also has a graphing element with their progress.

11. smithf1

smithf1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2007

My fifth graders have to do 60 in 3 minutes. I allow for 5 mistakes before they can go on to the next test. Mutliplication, division, mixed facts, equations, challenge, "can this be done?"

12. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Oct 22, 2007

I have heard that giving 3-5 seconds, per problem, is ideal. I give my first graders a minute and a half for 25 problems. I start with 1's and then work up to 9's. They need to pass their level with %100. I also have a theme where they "build" ice cream sundaes. They get a cone/bowl for passing their 1's, a scoop of ice cream for 2's, another for 3's, another for 4's, syrup for 5's, sprinkles for 6's, whipped cream for 7's, nuts for 8's, and a cherry for 10's. This doesn't mean they have to have these ingrediants on their presonal sundae but it a cute bulletin board of progress.