Math Facts (sigh)

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by sophie1, Jul 3, 2009.

1. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 3, 2009

How do you get your students to "master" addition and subtraction facts from 0-18. HELP!!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2009

Math games
    Teach strategies (doubles, doubles plus one, Fast 10s, the 9 trick, turn around facts...)
    Flashmaster
    Suggest flashcard usage at home
    Include interactive math practice sites on your classroom homepage
    Mad Minutes

4. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jul 3, 2009

Those are all great, czaca. I think as long as they know "how" to do it, they're fine! Some people think that it's so important for them to be able to spout out "8+6 = 14" without thinking. To be honest, I still use my fingers or sometimes touch points when adding or subtracting. Unless there is a required timed fact test that they are taking...that's another story.

5. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jul 3, 2009

When I was student teaching my cooperating teacher had the students make flashcards. She had levels (like plus 1, doubles, etc.) and when a kid was ready she would test them (they probably had like 8-10 facts) if they passed they would get another row of facts to learn. The old facts were put in another envelope in their desk and would be brought out again later or mixed in with the new ones.It was great for the kids to pull out when we had extra time or when they finished work. I was surprised how motivated the kids were to get new set of flashcards. They also liked making them themselves(she had a bunch of index cards cut up for them to make them). Of course there were a few kids who wouldn't ask to be tested on their own so she would make sure to check in on those kids.

All the above ideas are good too. I was in 4th this year and man I learned how crucial those math facts are. The group we had this year was real bad at them.

6. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jul 3, 2009

i have them do a math facts worksheet every morning while i check attendance, get lunch count, etc...i alternate add, sub, then later in the year multiplication and division

they also have a math facts folder that i send home every day for homework, every other week or so I check them individually for mastery

the left side pocket holds the new facts in a manilla envelope labeled new and the right side pocket hold a white envelope labeled review...they are supposed to practice both envelopes every night along with their reading homework

games, games, games- math facts are BORING...so you have to give them some fun and incentive to master them

7. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 4, 2009

Thank you so much. Great ideas! Our school does AIMS testing and the students are scored on how fast they complete a timed test. It's a little frustrating and so I need to make sure I do a better job in that area next year.

8. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

Does anyone use the Mad Minutes program?