Math Fact Fluency...HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.F, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Ms.F

Ms.F Rookie

Oct 20, 2009

I teach 2nd grade and some of my kids are really stuggling with addition and subtraction facts. Do you guys have any suggestions on lessons or activities I can do with them to boost them in this area? Each morning before class begins, I work with them for 15 minutes. So, I'm looking for some quick activities that we can practice daily.

THANKS!!!

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2009

My kids love doing math exercises--I show them a flashcard, and then they do that number of jumping jacks, toe touches, or whatever. Gives them something to do other than just the flash cards.

4. janlee

janlee Devotee

Oct 20, 2009

I do one fact per week and I begin with only addition facts. I introduce the fact on day one and send home an additional sheet with the answers to keep at home to study from. Each day I give a 2 minute fact quiz on the fact and then send home a practice sheet. I do this for 4 days. On the fifth day I give a final fact assessment. I am very pleased thus far with the results. Since Sept. we've done the
    +0, 1, 2, 3, 9, doubles, and doubles plus one. The assessments include not only the fact but ones previously learned, too. (25 problems per quiz or assessment)

5. sunnydaze

sunnydaze Rookie

Oct 21, 2009

amakaye, I love your math exercise's idea! My daughter is in 2nd grade and struggling with her facts. We use dice and play different games with her already but I am going to start doing the math exercises with her tonight. I bet she loves it!

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2009

What about doing fact families? I know it might be an easy thing for them to do. When I taught first I made a house & the kids really liked it. It might be a morning "warm up" type thing.

7. sunnydaze

sunnydaze Rookie

Oct 22, 2009

Just wanted to update the math exercises were a HUGE hit with my daughter!

8. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Oct 22, 2009

That is very interesting, I just started observations ( a few weeks ago) in a second grade classroom where the kids are struggling with basic addition. They are constantly counting on their fingers. That is basically the number one strategy in the room. I actually just did a pre-assessment today asking the kids what strategies they used. Just going around reading over their papers I could see them counting on their fingers and writing that for the strategy they used. So I am just sitting down now to write up my findings. Then in another week or so I get to teach three half hour lessons on math strategies. I think we are going to work on bridging to ten- basically reinforcing their comfort with numbers and more number sense stuff. But I think my lessons for three half hours are going to focus on one math strategy and getting the kids really comfortable with that so they will use it instead of counting fingers.

9. tgim

tgim Habitué

Oct 23, 2009

Have you looked at SuperSpeed Math on the Power Teaching (now Whole Brain Teaching) group on here?

10. teacherfourth

teacherfourth Rookie

Oct 24, 2009

http://mathwire.com/ has some great ideas... I used the I have who has cards from this site for multiplication - I did see some addition ones... Hope it helps