Math Expressions

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by kem, Sep 11, 2008.

1. kem

kem Companion

Sep 11, 2008

Our district just started Expressions this year, and the first grade rooms in our school all started the units this week. We are all a little curious as to how others teach the lessons. We have all tried different grouping strategies, and agree that we don't like the large group-we are loosing the really high and really low kids as they are pretty bored. Our kindergarten is very hands-on, play-based, so sitting and doing worksheets is quite a change for these little guys! We would all like to use Math centers, but see how that could be challenging to try to get in all of the info when we only have an hour. Any ideas?

3. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Sep 11, 2008

My county implemented math espression last year. And at first we were all VERY hesitant. It surely took some getting used to. The county had some instructional coaches come in and help us in the classroom and do some lesson with us. It helped. I taught kindergaretn last year, so we definatley felt like it was over their heads. But we stuck with it. The main thing I learned was that the whole group lesson aren't that bad, but I cut down the time and only allowed them to get the manipulatives out that we were working with at that time.

I am still doing Math Expression in first grade. For now, I keep the whole group lessons pretty short ( about 15-20 minutes MAX) then we split up into groups. But I just have two groups. The first group works with me on Activity 2 and then the second group extends the lesson with whatever is in the lesson for the day.

It may take some management. But it really works. Especially the quick practice routines and all. An dthe math talk. It really allows the students to have some understanding of what their doing and not just doing it y'know.

Last year my kindergartners could just about count money, Tell me tens and ones, all addition fact to 20 including doubles. It really paid off. I hav ethe same group this year and it is going well. The program is very detailed and in depth but stick to it and it will pay off for the kiddo's

Sorry so long. :mellow:

4. kem

kem Companion

Sep 11, 2008

Thank you! The trainers who came in for staff development told us to stick with it too. The kids are just SO bored. We just started though, so are doing a lot of number writing and super easy patterns. Other than the actual books, we don't have any of our manipulatives, 120/money charts, etc. b/c they are made in China, and all of the factories were shut down for the Olympics : ) It's a good lesson on how dependent we are, I guess!

5. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

Just be glad you all are getting the extra resources. Our district purchased the serious and the teachers got the T.E.'s and the jump drives for their grade levels. We had to print, run and copy all the extra things like the money chart, number parade etc...But we did get manipulatives. we got a box for every student with their own manipulative in it. Yeah that takes management in itself. So be careful.

6. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

Oh! You can still do your centers and math tubs. After I teach the whole group lesson. I break the class up for defferentiated instruction. and that is when I have them do math tubs, while I am challenging or remediating a group. Depends on what day.

7. kem

kem Companion

Sep 14, 2008

What do you have in your math tubs? I feel like I have a ton resources for doing literacy centers, but am lacking in math.

8. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Sep 15, 2008

colored Cubes for measuring or making patterns.

I have one tub full of flash cards (addition and subtraction)and counters. Students just show what on the cards with a partner

shapes- Make shape drawing or sort.

Money

CLocks- when we get to time (I introduce this center later. Make some cards with the digital time and then they show a partner on the clock.

I usually reserve math tubs for a Fun Friday activities while I remediate the weeks lesson plans with other students. We only get a hour for math, so sometimes it's really not enough time to do the MX lesson and tubs, unless I split up the gorup. Then the students in the other groups always want to do math tubs instead of the target lesson.