Math Expressions Series

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by myKroom, Nov 22, 2013.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Nov 22, 2013

Does anyone else use Math Expressions by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt?

What are your thoughts?

I'm really struggling with this series. It jumps around so much and switches concepts constantly. I don't feel like my kids are grasping the point. We also just keep working with the same manipulatives over and over and over...there is nothing fun that captures their attention.

I'm trying to follow it as closely as I can because we are trying to build continuity throughout the building with math language and what not, but this series SOOOO BORING!!!

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 22, 2013

I did not like it for K, but I like it for 2nd grade.

I agree that the kindergarten curriculum was pretty boring. Now that I teach 2nd grade, however, I can see how much the repetition helps. Knowing partners of ten and recognizing 5 groups really helps when we get to addition with regrouping and other 2nd grade skills.

One thing that I feel my kids are really lacking in, though, is skip counting. We're working on money, and they are really struggling with counting by 5's. :( Also, most kids don't know the days of the week and months of the year.

4. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2013

I don't use math expressions, but are you allowed to supplement at all?

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 29, 2013

I also teach 2nd grade and like it.
    our district has shown large math gains since we started using it too.

We are required to supplement math facts, graphing, and problem solving that involves logic and reasoning. I supplement the graphing in social studies mainly coordinates and line graphs.

6. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Dec 4, 2013

I could, but I'm trying my best (at least this first year) to follow the program and language so we are consistent across all grade levels. Also because I want to give the program a fair shake and get to know what I'm doing.

7. queenie

queenie Groupie

Dec 8, 2013

I teach 2nd and I like it a little better than I did when I taught fifth, but I really don't like it much. It's missing important components, it uses strange/unique vocabulary, and it doesn't seem to build in a grade level appropriate way. Thumbs down from me! I think we're switching to Go Math next year!

8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 10, 2013

Our 5th grade teachers quit it and went back to Saxon. I looked at it briefly, but it looked waaaaay too confusing and conceptual for my kids in SPED.