Math Expressions program

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kk354, Nov 24, 2014.

1. kk354

kk354 Rookie

Nov 24, 2014

Any experiences with Math Expressions? My district just started using it K-5.

The length of each lesson seems quite long. I only have 40-50 minutes a day for math which is ALSO unrealistic but the lessons seem to always take at least 90 min. The pacing also seems rather rigorous, especially since the content is CCSS and is pretty challenging. I teach 2nd grade and my class finds a lot of the lesson content difficult. I am finding I need to break up a lot of the lessons over 2 days, as I am finding it's so much whole-class (which doesn't exactly meet the needs of my students.) I don't like how there is a lack of manipulatives and the ones that come in the math kits are flimsy. I think the program will be better in a few years (I hope) when the kids have been using it starting in K.

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 24, 2014

We've been using it for 7 years now, and my class actually flies through the lessons for the most part. So, it will probably get better with time.

We're encouraged to follow the pacing, but use ME only as a resource, so I don't follow the lessons exactly as the book says.

4. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Nov 25, 2014

We started with it last year and I loved it! However, I taught K so my kids didn't have to deal with the wonderful learning gap that occurs when you get a new series. If you just started using it, it will take time! Remember, your kiddos didn't have this math series last year so they will not be used to the content, vocabulary, expectations of this new series. They will be missing pieces simply because they are changing from old to new.

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 27, 2014

Ditto.
    I believe the ME pacing guide is 150 days so that allows time.
    I do the daily routine stuff at a different time then the main math lesson too.

6. kk354

kk354 Rookie

Nov 29, 2014

Glad that you brought that up! How valuable have you found the daily routines? I do not do them often as I do not have time in my current schedule :unsure: …I would rather get through the lessons and have the kids engage in math talk at the end of a lesson instead of running out of time….

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 30, 2014

This is my first year not doing the daily routine. I just don't like it. I have a very high group this year (almost all kids scored well above grade level on the fall MAP test), and they would be bored out of their minds.

8. kk354

kk354 Rookie

Nov 30, 2014

Good to know. Thanks! My class is very mixed but we have math RTI 3x a week and I'd rather have the modeling, examples, math talk, and opportunities for them to go and practice on their own than whole class routines. I can differentiate more and meet with the kids who really need help - or challenges.

Did you find it made any sort of difference for your class when you did them? I just don't have the time to fit it in - OR the "Quick practice" - period. 40 minutes is barely enough. Maybe next year….?