Math electives at the HS level

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by MikeTeachesMath, May 26, 2015.

1. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 26, 2015

I'm curious about the availability of math electives at the high school level. I realize the line between elective and non-elective is a little fuzzy when it comes to math, so I'm talking about anything beyond the traditional algebra, geometry, alg2/trig, precalc sequence. Examples might be AP Calc, AP Statistics, discrete math, differential equations, etc. What does your school offer beyond the traditional set of classes?

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 26, 2015

When I was in HS, ours had IB Calculus (i.e. Calculus II) and AP Statistics. (ironically, I took those two classes technically during the same period -- don't ask..ha -- during my junior year which led to not having any other math classes to take the final year of high school)

4. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

May 26, 2015

We had Honors Probability & Statistics in high school. At the high school where I taught, I don't think they had any math electives.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 26, 2015

We have:
    Advanced Math (College Algebra in fall and Trig in spring for college credit)
    Calculus (for college credit)
    Business Math (Real world applications of math)

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 26, 2015

The high school I attended didn't have any math electives. But we did have up to calc 2, "math systems" (IB math), and I believe statistics.

7. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

May 26, 2015

I think math at my school it set up a little strangely. We have the typical Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, which are all required, then we offer...

"PDM" which is precalc and discrete math
    Stats and Trig
    AP Calc
    AP Statistics
    Special Topics in Math (which is the "fun" elective)

Some students take stats and trig as a junior then take PDM as a senior. Others take PDM as a sophomore (after algebra 2)then take AP Stats then AP Calc. Others take Stats and trig then AP statistics. Some take PDM and stats and trig. I can't figure out the sequencing.

8. leeshis0019

leeshis0019 Companion

May 26, 2015

When I went to high school (not really that long ago) we had all advanced classes (advanced algebra, geometry, etc). Then we had AP Calc, AP statistics, AP marketing statistics (this was an interesting class that was dropped as soon as the teacher left) and that's pretty much it.

I wish they could offer a class like AP Problem Solving with Mathematics. That'd be neat, but the way the curriculum is going I doubt they'd implement something that "frilly" in the maths.

Where I am now there's AP Calc and AP Stats and of course all the advanced math courses (honors really). There's also AP Physics C (calculus based) which is always fun to observe.

Honestly, I think they need to offer more math courses and just fix the math curriculum. Getting tired of students that don't know how to move variables in an equation. D=m/v. Solve for m. It's like asking them to walk through a wall. They've got absolutely no idea where to start and it's disappointing.

9. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

May 27, 2015

My high school had the basics of Algebra I (and also two classes that broke that up into two years), Geometry, Algebra II, Trig (or Algebra II/Trig for advanced students who could do each in a semester), Precalc, and Calc (I believe there was a one year and a two year of Calc, depending on the level of the student).

Electives were Finite, AP Stats, and Accounting.

10. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 27, 2015

My (tiny) high school offered AP Calc, Accounting, and Consumer Math (balancing checkbooks, calculating interest, etc.).

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 27, 2015

My own high school had AP Calc, AP Stats, and GTA. I don't remember if there were any accounting courses, but there may have been.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 27, 2015

Remember that I went to a high school for gifted kids, but we had, in addition to the usual courses:

Probability and Statistics
    Discrete Math
    Multivariable Calculus
    Differential Equations
    Chaos, Fractals, and Dynamics
    Vector Calculus
    Linear Algebra
    Modern Algebra
    Topology

And whatever else the teachers wanted to offer any given semester, mostly whatever they were researching at the time.