Math demo lesson help - 8th grade data analysis and probability

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nursingnellie, Jul 14, 2013.

1. nursingnellie

nursingnellie Rookie

Jul 14, 2013

I could sure use some help planning this demo lesson - the lesson is tomorrow and all I know is that the students are incoming eighth graders who are academically at-risk and that my topic is data analysis and probability.

I don't know how long the lesson is supposed to be, how many students there are, or what they've been doing..so I want to keep it simple. I'm thinking of a lesson involving M&M's (well, probably not actually M&M's since I don't want to worry about allergies, I just think of it as the M&M activity) where we calculate the probability of pulling a certain color and then make graphs.

Any tips on how best to make this work? Ideally I would have the students, in groups, do the work of counting how many pieces of each color, and the total, but maybe we should do it as a class since I don't know how many students there will be? Also, should we make the graph as a class or should I try to bring graph paper? I would love to do the graph in color, what if they don't have markers/colored pencils? What about rulers? :confused:

I'm also taking suggestions for what to use in place of M&M's...I need something I have around the house; I was thinking Legos.

I just found out the topic and grade level Friday after hours so I did not have an opportunity to contact the district for more information, so I'm at a stand still. I want to come in prepared, but I don't have time to do a lot of gathering materials!

I am taking ANY AND ALL tips or suggestions that you can give. Please help!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2013

This is a great probability game. I've played. In partnerships with a 'racetrack' sheet I created similar to the one on link. Have kds predict which 'horse' will win. The put an X on sheet to reflect each roll. Have them do a witten reflection on the results. Graph class results as a group and discuss...

http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/parents/horserace/horserace.html

4. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 14, 2013

What about using playing cards instead of M and M's? I would group students off to make the graph and then present their findings -- if this seems not to be able work then do whole class thing.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2013

I've never taught above 3rd, so I'm not help on the specific lesson but I wanted to say good luck!!! :) Also, I would do a full lesson plan write up and maybe list some extension activities...that way when you find out how long the lesson is, you can tailor what you teach to fit the time but show them how you would fully do it given a longer amount of time.

6. ayla

ayla Companion

Jul 14, 2013

I hope your lesson goes well. In my state, 8th grade prob/stat includes independent/dependent/without replacement, as well as scatterplots. I'm not sure what common core says but what you described sounds more like elementary prob/stat. Cards would work better as the previous poster said. Demo lessons without topics like that are terrible. Good luck!