Math Daily 5

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by FourSquare, Nov 19, 2012.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 19, 2012

OHAI....so I do this thing called Daily Five in Math. :whistle: :haha:

The Sisters never did an official book so I sort of made up my own thing and called it Math Daily Five: Independent Math, Partner Math, Guided Math, Word Work, Math Technology. I use the exact same structures for Reading...exact same procedure....but for some reason it hasn't gone quite as smoothly as reading. It's not going poorly, I just wish I had more resources.

Brief Overview:

Independent Math - worksheet/independent center game/practice facts

Partner Math - skill game (I have been printing something off of TeachersPayTeachers and they usually do it for the week. GOD BLESS TPT.)

Guided Math - work at the back table with me/conferring...I did up a Math Conferring Binder just like the one for Reading.

Word Work - math vocabulary (I am fortunate to have an aide, so she does things like Frayer organizers with math words or shows work on a whiteboard and they have to name the vocabulary word that goes with it. My kids are LD and ELLs, so this is huge.)

Math Technology - IXL on computers or iPad math apps

Instead of the Math CAFE wall I do a word wall with headings from NWEA :)rolleyes:) - Number Sense, Algebra, Geometry, Data Analysis, Measurement.

Do you do math workshop/centers/D5? What does it look like in your room? I'd really like to make my setup better! Any good iPad apps for math would be especially helpful. :thanks:

3. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Nov 19, 2012

I love the idea of this, but have about 1/2 the time for Maths as I have for Literacy. I try to fit 3 15min activities into the hour: Guided Maths, Independent Work, Game/Skill. Independent work is usually a sheet or some sort of thinking activity like a Think Board or a graphic organiser. Game/Skill can be hands on manipulatives, like tangrams or geoboards. Guided Maths involves me working with the small group on the week's topic (I also do a mini-lesson at the start of the hour). This is differentiated so it allows me to consolidate for the strugglers and extend the others. Not perfect by a long way. Any other ideas?

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2012

The first thing that I do is color code my levels of materials. As students progress, they change levels. This makes it easy to organize materials. (So I have one color for 0-5 work, one for 0-10 work, one for 11-20 work, one for 0-20 work, and one for above 20).

In sixth grade, I made my stations a bit different. I have CRAFT (conceptual understanding--working with teacher, reasoning--problem solving, accuracy--computational problems, fluency---fact practices, and thinking games). Fluency was ongoing using our fact practice software. So when one student finished another was called over.

I found that by setting up the rotations with what the student was working on made the stations more focused for the students and they were able to get more work completed.

For reasoning, the students usually worked with a partner or two to solve a more difficult word problem and write out their thinking as they worked out the problem. Then we presented these to the class or small groups.

For accuracy, the students had different math games that they worked on as well as practice sheets from me. The math games were really simple and involved little prep work (I basically typed up the packet and used dice or cards for the students to make their own problems). After they completed 10 problems on any skill, they got a one problem quiz. If they passed the quiz, they moved to the next skill.

Fluency was incredibly easy because we had a fact program for the students. I also had some other facts practice that students could do that I kept in a bin.

Thinking games was where I would put the different games that our math program introduced and allow the students to play with partners or a small group.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2012

What really helped with the buy in was the lack of homework if they worked hard and the ability to take quizzes as they were ready. The students loved that they could complete their homework during accuracy time and their weekly reasoning problem during reasoning.

They also loved that there was no pressure to take tests and quizzes on a certain day. They took the tests and quizzes as they were ready.

This eliminated a lot of stress for the students and tons of grading for me.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2012

Thanks for starting this thread! FourSquare, do you do all 5 rotations or stations in one day?

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2012

Mopar, how long do you do math for? I do math about an hour a day. That includes warm up and calendar and a 10-minute mini-lesson (and then centers). Would that be ample time to do what you do?

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2012

Tami---in sixth grade, I had math for one hour a day with a mini lesson and warm up. The students did not complete each center daily. They met with me daily, worked on facts daily, most did accuracy daily, and then thinking games and reasoning were a few times a week.

With K, I have about 30 minutes for math daily. I have calendar time and a small group lesson then one exploration option. Right now, they are working on accuracy and thinking games only. So they basically have one every other day.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2012

Ok, thanks. I really like the way you set up the CRAFT (I wrote it down in my notebook). I do centers, but it's one rotation a day. After the warm-up, calendar and then mini-lesson, they have about 20-25 minutes for a center activity, and one a day has been working with this group (I used to do two rotations but that was with an older group).

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2012

Oh, and if a student has finished a center early or isn't in a center that is a game I will pull the student to do math facts from xtramath. or tenmarks on the computer.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2012

Out of curiosity, do you do a mini-lesson in between each D5 math rotation?

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2012

With the younger ones and the time devoted to literacy, there just isn't as much time for math (after a lesson and calendar). With math, we only do one rotation a day (sometimes two depending on the time frame) and two rotations in literacy (sometimes three depending on the time frame).

13. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 20, 2012

I've been doing MATH - Math facts, At your seat, Teacher, and Hands on.

Math facts is on the computer, hand held electronic math fact games, or card games.

At your seat is usually the pages I need to give from the curriculum, or remediation/enrichment packets.

Teacher is my lesson, which I adjust slightly for each group. We are all working on the same topic, but the levels/scaffolding are different for each group.

Hands on - math games, usually with a partner

It has been going really well! Teaching my lesson small group was critical this year because I have a lot of really low kids, a lot of really high kids, and very few in the middle.

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 20, 2012

We have a 60-minute math block, and an additional, separate 30 minute math intervention/enrichment time. I structure my I/E time to be more like centers/Daily 5. Students only do 1 activity per day, Tuesday-Friday:
    -Math Fact practice (Xtra Math on the computers, and flashcards when they are finished)
    -Paper practice: Some sort of worksheet or independent activity
    -Game of the week: They play this 2 times.

I meet with my intervention kids every day. It has been going pretty well.

15. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 21, 2012

Tami, I definitely DO NOT do all 5 rotations. It's actually more like the Daily 2, but my kids knew that language from Reading so I just kept it. I do 20 minutes whole group warm up and lesson, then 2 rotations in 40 minutes. It's always one group goes to Partner Math and one goes to Math Technology and they switch. (This is doable because I only have 11 kids for math.)

My aide and I pull kids one on one as needed. We need to meet with some kids longer than others, so whenever we're done with them they just go back to wherever their group is.

Now that they have the routine down I think I'm going to quit whole group and just do 3 rounds of small group for most days. It will be easier for me to differentiate that way.