Math Daily 3-Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TamiJ, May 14, 2015.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 14, 2015

Hi everyone,

I know Math Daily 3 has been mentioned here before, but it seems those who had tried it did not experience much success. I am curious to find out thoughts on it now, especially since it is not so new and some of you might have had more time to really see how it functions. If you are using math daily 3, will you please share your thoughts on it?

3. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

May 17, 2015

I'd love to see some replies too. I'm end the end of my first year in first grade with a pretty strict/scripted math program. I am frustrated because I see students who totally get it and are bored with the whole "math meeting" and fact review, and then there are kids who totally DON'T get it and need more instruction on specific concepts. The way the program is written, there's no time to help those kids. I'd love to incorporate Math Daily 3 and differentiate instruction for all learners. But I already do Daily 5 for reading, and it is time consuming. If I do it for math too, there may be no other time in the day for any other subjects!

Anyone having success???

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 18, 2015

I started using Math Daily 3 this year. There are some things that I like about it, but I will be changing a lot for next year.

I found it to be A LOT of work to find and prepare the games and activities. It was difficult to find games that could be differentiated for the various ability levels of the students in my classroom. I used carts of plastic drawers, which worked out well for organization.

I really struggled with teaching Math Writing, and holding my students accountable. I also struggled with Math with Someone. I wanted so badly to trust my students to choose partners that they could work well with, and I worked with them so much on doing so. However, at the end of the day, most 2nd graders are going to choose their friends as partners, and that doesn't always work out well.

I would like to do something similar next year, but I probably wouldn't give students choice over what they are doing. I would have some sort of rotation schedule, and tell them where to go (a big Daily 5 and Math Daily 3 no-no!). I would also choose their partners. I would probably do math writing once or twice a week with more guidance. I also did not like the format of teaching a mini-lesson, and then doing a round. I would rather do one 15-20 minute mini-lesson in the beginning, and then do a few rounds in a row.

Overall, I like the idea of adding more games and other activities to math time, but I didn't really like Math Daily 3.

5. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

May 18, 2015

Driving Pigeon, I struggle with the partner issue in Daily 5 Reading as well. I taught the procedure to find a partner dozens of times and stressed how it doesn't have to be your friend, but I still have kiddos running over to their favorites and others getting left out during Read to Someone. It was a headache. I love the choice aspect, but sadly next year I am going to have to assign partners. It's just too hard for first graders to manage themselves like that.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 19, 2015

Very interesting. I remember when I first read posts on D3 math there weren't too many fans. Judging by the lack of responses and the above one it seems there still aren't any real fans out there. I was worried about finding enough math games, and it seems like that is an issue you are having, DP.

I don't know...maybe I really like my structure better (it is kind of like a workshop model where I have mini-lessons...hmmm..I think next year I will call it math workshop).

My current structure

1. Whole class: math video or math talk

2. independent: math warm up-spiral review (I can pull kids for enrichment or support here).

3. Whole-group mini-lesson

4. Independent practice of math lesson

5. Math centers (one rotation a day of about 10-15 minutes...I usually have 2 games, and 2 independent centers).

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 22, 2015

That's kind of like what I would like to do. I like the idea of a mini-lesson, followed by independent practice and games. I would incorporate math writing into your #1 above (it would fit in well with "math talk").

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 22, 2015

I do a sort of math workshop as well. One thing that I have found is that some topics are better suited for whole-class mini-lessons and independent practice, while others work better for doing these in leveled groups. I have procedures for both, and flip between the two depending on the unit.

9. *Schoolmarm*

*Schoolmarm* Rookie

May 23, 2015

I haven't tried the Math Daily 3 yet, but I used the Daily 5 for a while this year. I ended up not using it daily because I didn't have the time. Some students take longer to build stamina than others and it was becoming labor some. I definitely will be trying it again next year though. I saw it working well when I observed another teacher.

My Math lessons were primarily taught in centers this year. I began with teaching a whole group mini lesson integrated into my Calendar Time, but then rotated groups of 4 or 5 around the room with Math games, related Math craft or game w/ my aide, game or review w/ a volunteer (when available) and another mini lesson with me.

10. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

May 24, 2015

This year I did what I called Math Daily 4. It really wasn't though. I would have one teacher lead group, and three independent groups; One was a spiral review, one was a multiplication fact activity and one was a game. I did them on Mon, Tues, Thurs and Friday (this is where the 4 came in) The kids would rotate through the four "centers"

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 24, 2015

I haven't tried Math Daily 3 because my math block was way too short this year (60 min), but I have considered it for next year, or at least some variation of it...more of a math workshop approach.

Here are my thoughts:

-Like DP, I don't really like the format of round, mini lesson, round, mini lesson in math especially. When I did D5 in first grade, I actually didn't do this format - I did 3 rounds in a row. I can't see breaking up our 5th grade math concepts into multiple mini lessons. It is also not often possible to teach our concepts in such a short amount of time.

- I *really* want to incorporate math writing, but I am having a hard time figuring that one out, like DP mentioned.

- Although I used choice in D5 when I taught 1st, I can't see that working for math. The kids need to do their independent practice. Maybe choosing the order they do it in...I don't know.

- I actually really found Math with Someone (or my variation of it) to be successful this year. I got a lot of stations on TPT (yes, lots of $$, but at least I'm almost set for most of next year) and the kids were overall pretty successful with them. Also, although it was a lot of work upfront, those games are now ready. (Not organized...that's a summer project I get to do...sigh.) BUT...again I agree with DP - I needed to choose partners. I tried both ways, and having friends be partners for math games ended up being a headache.

I really have struggled with math this year. It's an area I want to beef up and improve for next year. I just feel like there aren't enough hours in the day to do math how I want it! This year I only have 60 minutes. Next year, I think I'll have 80, and I could stretch it to incorporate some other time as well.

Anyway, those are my random thoughts. :)