Math curriculum

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Matt633, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jun 27, 2012

As a school we are in the process of looking for new Math curriculum. Can you please tell what Math you use? Publisher? And any general comments as to how you like/dislike it. Thanks

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 27, 2012

Next year at my new school I am starting the Harcourt "Math in Focus" which is basically the amercanized version of Singapore math. I've been taking a class to learn how it works (it is SO different). I like how it's very logic based and really reinforces number sense and place value. I struggled with math as a kid and I think I would have done extremely well with this curriculum since I was such a logical thinker (abstract formulas made no sense to me- and this really focuses on the "why" you're doing something also). However, it's so incredibly different than other math, I think it would be a struggle to go from traditional math to that and kids would only be really successful if they'd started with it in K. I know the teachers at my new school described it as "really out there" and thought it was too difficult for the kids.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2012

We have been using GoMath Florida edition for a couple of years. Not a big fan. They give too many different ways to solve problems. Not enough depth. We are beginning common core soon and it does not address many of those skills.

Good things about the series: Lots of remedial resources. Lots of manipulatives. Good online resources.

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2012

We use Everyday Math. (Awful) I'd love to switch to Math in Focus.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 28, 2012

When we searched, we chose Sadlier because it presented the material simply and the workbook was straightforward. I never used the textbook, personally, but some other teachers did. I liked the workbook a lot. I augmented the curriculum with Calendar Counts math.

7. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 28, 2012

We changed from Saxon to Math Connects (Macmillan/McGraw Hill) last year. We chose Connects because that's what the 6-8 grade teacher uses. However, it was a NIGHTMARE! The books did not flow well from grade to grade, there were errors in the books, and some of the teachers refused to use them.

It was a rough year, and I'm not sure this year will be better (re:math), but we have a new P, so *fingers crossed* she can help us find something better.

8. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2012

We use Investigations. I think you'll find pros and cons to most programs and it'll be important to have some flexibility in delivering instruction. Which programs are you looking at?

9. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jun 28, 2012

We are also going to Math in Focus for next year K-5... We have been using Harcourt Math in 3-5, and they used Go Math in K-2 this year. I'm really excited about the Math in Focus, it looks super user friendly and has a ton of resources!

10. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jun 28, 2012

We use enVision math by Pearson. While it does have some great resources you can implement in your classroom, we have found it almost too difficult for our lower-level math students. I am hoping that students will have an easier time with this math this year as they have been using it since 3rd grade, but we shall see.

11. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jun 28, 2012

We have been using Harcourt Math which I like with a few tweaks. However they are not publishing it anymore. So, we have to find something by 2013-2014! We will spend the year considering which way to go. Thanks for your replies so far!

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 28, 2012

We are in our 5th year of Math Expressions. For the most part, I really like it. Like all math programs, it is only a resource, so I pick and choose lessons and supplement as-needed.