Math Connects VS. Everyday Math

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Apr 29, 2008

Does anyone use either of these math series, or have an opinion to share? Our school is trying to decide quickly which to purchase, and we don't know enough about either of them to make a good, informed decision. All thoughts appreciated!

3. mister_d

mister_d Rookie

Apr 29, 2008

I've used Everyday Math and thought it was great. I think it is particularly useful in the early elem. grades. As with anything else, I modified things here n there to make it work for my (4th and 5th grade) kids. I subbed a 1st grade the other day where the teacher had added 3-4 songs to the daily routine which made it so much fun!

I had a little experience with a program called Connected Math last year (7th grade). Not sure if it's the same thing, but I didn't find it to be any more useful than any other math text.

4. thenrobbiesaid

thenrobbiesaid Rookie

Apr 29, 2008

Our district I sub in uses Everyday Math as well. We're told to "trust the spiral". They have great activities that are very engaging, and the students seem to enjoy the "games" that come with this series.

The thing that is interesting about "trusting the spiral" is that you are expected to pace yourself throughout the curriculum. You can't spend too much time (usually more than a day) on a particular lesson, because they have it set up so that you finish the book near the end of school. They say to trust it because you kind of spiral back to certain topics and have the opportunity to cover them again. Basically, we're told to trust the people that developed Everyday Math, because they know that everything that we need to have covered will be.

I, too, have seen it work well for elementary students. I also change it up when I feel like I need to. I don't, however, have any experience with Math Connects.

Hope that helps!

Robert

5. MsX

MsX Companion

Apr 29, 2008

I use everyday math and i really like it. Yes, as with any program, there are downfalls and things that need to be modified to fit my needs. But overall, I find it very effective. I like how topics are continually revisited. I can see how my student's understanding of a topic grows over the course of a year. I also think it prevents students from learning a topic and then forgetting it a month later, but topics are reviewed and built upon all the time

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 29, 2008

When I was student teaching Kindergarten the school I was at used Everyday Math. I liked it and so did the other teachers.

7. SuperMissM

SuperMissM Rookie

Apr 29, 2008

EDM is a great program. If you are in a transient area, Id say get something that doesnt spiral. We are very transient and are using investigations, its becoming a big debate.

8. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 29, 2008

I don't use either, but I know that Math Connects is very new.