Math Concept activites

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Boggarts, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Boggarts

Boggarts Rookie

Mar 20, 2008

:help: I need to design hands-on activities for children ages 3-4 using everyday materials to teach specific math concepts. Does anyone have any suggestions for teaching one-to-one correspondence, classification, measurement, comparing, ordering, serration, shape, parts, and patterning. Our theme is turtles so I am trying to create these math concepts around turtles. I could also use any suggestions on books, songs, or fingerplays relating to these math concepts.

Thanks a bunch. :cool:

3. imat

imat Rookie

Mar 20, 2008

Sentence Strip Path Counting Game
    Children roll a game dice and count the amount of spaces to move their game piece down the path. I have different styles of dice to accommodate different skill levels. I have dice with dots, numbers 1-6, and dice with numbers 1-20. (games are make out of sentence strips and stickers to meet the theme)

Jumbo Playing Cards and Buttons
    Children will get tons of hands on counting practice with these cards and buttons. They will be able to learn to associate numbers and quantities.

I turned the Ace cards into 1 by placing a white stickers on top of the A and writing a 1 on the sticker.

Match and Clip Number Mats
    Children match the number on a clothespin and clip it to the mat. You can also put dots on the clothespin and them have them match the number of dots to the corresponding number. (mats are made out of card stock and number sticks around the edge of the card)

*Egg Carton Math Match Set out a supply of plastic eggs and egg cartons. On the inside top of egg carton place a number of 1-12 or 1-18 depending on the size of egg carton. Have the children open up the egg carton find the number and place the right amount of eggs in the carton.

Math Tubs
    I have math tubs that I have made out of found items: buttons, glass rocks, pop-poms, plastic frogs, rubber worms, and any other items I can find that the children can use with math folder games.

Math Mat Games for counting, sorting and patterns.
    I have created math games with file folders for the children to use with the math tubs.
    to see pictures of the games and description click the link below.
    http://kidsworldexploration.com/id53.html

4. Boggarts

Boggarts Rookie

Mar 20, 2008

Thanks

wow thanks for some great ideas.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 20, 2008

imat gave you somewonderful ideas. Here are some more.

1-1--set the table for lunch, giving each person 1 fork, etc. Pass out papers, giving each person 1 paper.
    Classification--get out some hoola hoops and sort the children accorging to boy/girl, likes pepperoni pizza/cheese pizza
    measurement--measure everything, remember that measurment is a comparison to a given set of units, so how many blocks tall is the same as how many feet high. The block concept is easier to understand.
    Comparing--is that big, bigger, biggest? Read Goldilocks and the Three bears and read about the soft, softer, softest bed, etc.

Serration--patterns? Frog, flower, frog, flower, what comes next.

For inspiration, I look at supply catalogues, and try to make some of the games I see in there.