math class theme

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by lmitchem, Aug 3, 2005.

1. lmitchem

lmitchem New Member

Aug 3, 2005

Hi,

I am a middle school math teacher. I am not very creative in the bulletin board area. I was trying to come up with a theme for the year. I was trying to relate the classroom with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I hope this doesn't sound too juvenile. I was going to have one bulletin board called "The Golden Ticket Team" where I displayed good work. I was going to have a jar of M&Ms and have the students estimate how many were in the jar. I was going to name each class a different kind of candy and have a small competition between the classes. I do not know what to name the competition and I need some other ideas for bulletin boards. If this is just a lame idea, please advise.

Thanks,
    lmitchem

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 3, 2005

It sounds like a great idea. Middle schoolers love candy as much as younger kids.

4. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Aug 3, 2005

That sounds great to me. I am a fellow middle school math teacher. I would use it in my room

5. Tabitha

Tabitha Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

I agree that it sounds like a creative way to start the year. We forget sometimes that our students still love the "kid things" in life. I have to remind myself that they are not as grown up as they like to think they are sometimes.

The Oompa Loompas are the helpers in the Chocolate Factory. Maybe you could have an Oompa Loompa list or section (w/ pics) for the students that are in charge of passing out supplies, etc. It could be similar to the line leader they have in K-5 maybe with more advanced job roles.

:)

6. emccoy

emccoy Companion

Aug 8, 2005

You could always name the classes after the children from the movie. Maybe this time Charlie doesn't win the competition.

Who said that you are not creative? I find this idea brilliant.

Plain M&Ms are also great for teaching exponential decay... and tooth decay if you're not careful. ;)

Have fun with this!
    Ed