math centers

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by kindergarden, Nov 30, 2007.

1. kindergarden

kindergarden Rookie

Nov 30, 2007

Does anyone use math centers during their math time? I'm trying to reach the needs of all my kids and thinking this is the only way to go. I have ideas for what to do in the centers but I need help figuring out the schedule and how much time is appropriate for each activity, as well as size of groups at each center. How do you teach the days math lesson and do centers? Please tell me what works for you in your room!

3. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Dec 1, 2007

I have math centers. It is completely different than how I do reading centers. I first teach whole group the math lesson and we complete the worksheet together. They then individually complete the fact sheet. I call 1-2 groups a day to go over mini- lessons on a certain topic. (For example: red group is working on identifying coins, blue group is working on adding coins using one type of coins, yellow group is counting coins using 2-3 types of coins, and purple is making change.) While I teach mini- lessons... the students have to finish the fact sheet and have a worksheet to complete. When they finish I have math choice centers. They may use flashcards, geo-boards, roll the big dice and write math problems on their dry erase boards, brainquest, hot dot cards, math picture books, money cards, shape stencils, file folder games, pattern block patterns etc.

I have 5 in each mini- lesson group. The students may freely choose what center they want. They are individual centers. I only have centers on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for twenty minutes. I meet with my struggling group 2 times and the others usually once.

4. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Dec 1, 2007

5. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Dec 2, 2007

I love the mini- offices! I am going to make some for next year! I have math offices that come with Saxon Math but it would work better to put all of the info that I want on the offices. I saw on another thread that they have their students draw things they love on their writing offices so it helps them think of writing ideas.

Thanks for sharing!:)

6. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Dec 11, 2007

I started math station this year. I do not go crazy. The kids like doing them though. This is what I do:

1. Hands on Math - the students use maniupulatives to solve math concepts that we are learning.
    2. At your desk working in the Math book
    3. Websites - I use games and Riverdeep activities for this station.
    4. Games - bingo, card games, dice games, all math related
    5. Skills practice. - These students come to me for additional help.

Hope this helps.

7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2007

I usaully run 25 minute centers.
    2 centers usually reinforce skills already learned.
    1 center on computer using a website on the current concept
    1 center I teach the current concept (or a new one)
    1 center a volunteer plays a game with them (UNO, checkers, Blokus, Battleship, etc).

I have them 1-2 days per week...often nearly the entire morning.

8. vjcdncr

vjcdncr Rookie

Feb 27, 2008

Math centers are a really good idea! I've never even thought about using math centers in the classroom. I'm a student teacher, and am only at placement once a week, which makes it hard to really have the chance to leanr and know exactly how the children learn. Having math centers would be a really great way for me to challenge the high level math students in the class. It would also be something different that the children are not used to, which would make them excited and keep them interested. I will definitely keep this in mind and plan to try it in the future.

9. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

10. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Feb 27, 2008

sorry, this got really long!

I do math centers daily in my first grade classroom. I introduce a new topic whole group, send them to their stations and then teach a mini-lesson to small groups. This way, I can do guided math and meet each group where they are developmentally. I currently have 4 groups of 4 kids that I meet with daily. My center groups aren't their math groups, so I have 12 kids (usually) at 4 different centers. I have guided math for 1 hour, so I meet with each group for 15 minutes. Typically, we do hands on activities, then they start their independent work with me, then return to a specific table to finish. As they finish their independent work, they return to centers. This means that they are working at stations for about 30 minutes daily. On Fridays, they may work longer, because I don't meet with their Mon-Thur. groups. I use this time to tutor my kids on skills they still haven't mastered. That means that some kids don't come to the table on Fridays. I also use this time to do a whole group graphing activity.

I have a ton of things in their tubs for them to choose to work with. I try to leave at least one activity from each objective in the tub all year. For example, there is still addition and subtraction activities in each tub, even though they should have a good understanding of this concept. I put all types of games and activities in my tubs. I have alot of the pre-made centers by Lakeshore and ChildCraft. I have puzzles, flash cards, plave value games, fraction games.. pretty much if we have covered it this year, it is in my tubs. They rotate tubs at the beginning of every day, just like at guided reading. I let them work on any of the activities in the tub that they want, but they can't switch tubs.