Math Centers?!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Starista, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Apr 27, 2006

Good Morning!

Does anyone run math centers? Or have any resources on math centers that they would share please? Thank you so much!

:love:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2006

I have math center time on Fridays- mostly games I have taught them using cards and dice to reinforce math concepts. Soetimes I also take out math manipulatives- geoboards, pattern blocks, etc.

4. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Apr 27, 2006

I do math tubs every afternoon for about 20 minutes. There are 10 tubs with different skills. Each has a 1/2 sheet to go along with it to document the activities. My kindergarteners love it.

Kelly :)

5. Teacher-AK

Teacher-AK Rookie

Apr 27, 2006

I'm going to a Marcy Cook conference next week and apparently she's all about math centers. I teach in a multi-age classroom and would probably really benefit from using centers but I have no idea how to put them together.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 27, 2006

If you share what you learn at the conference here, it will help you integrate your learning and perhaps also do some good for someone who can't get to a conference.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 27, 2006

I have been to several Marcy Cook workshops and they are very good. Downside - to make her ideas work easily, you need to buy several of her books.

8. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Apr 27, 2006

I am already doing reading centers daily and I think it has had a great affect on my students. I would love to integrate math baskets too. Can you tell me some of the tubs you have used?

9. Starista

Starista Cohort

Apr 28, 2006

Yes! I too would love to know about the math tubs that you use!! Especially when we're studying coins... some of my first graders haven't yet mastered counting by 5s and 10s so they get really confused. I would love to have the other children doing something while I work 1-on-1 with some struggling w/ the concept! Thanks bunches!

10. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Apr 28, 2006

Hi!

I have 10 tubs. They are all labeled and match a chart (like centers) so the kids rotate through. I have to turn them over once every two weeks.

Here are some websites for ideas. I know a lot are worksheet based, but they are great jumping points to go from to build manipulative based lessons, or tubs.

http://www.center.edu/NEWSLETTER/newsletter.shtml

http://themathworksheetsite.com/

http://www.download.com/Math-ActivityMaker-Primary/3640-2051_4-7008951.html?tag=tab_ur

http://www.primaryworksheets.co.uk/

Right now I have: Money (1, 5, 10), Time (Hour), Addition, Subtraction, Repeated addition with dice, and Number/Number Word recognition.

I went through the whole year and decided what skills should be taught each month. Then I found sheets and manipulatives that go with each.

It sounds a lot harder than it is.

Hmmmm.... did this answer your question?

Kelly :)

11. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Apr 28, 2006

It does answer my question, and I know how hard it is to keep coming up with new ideas for rotations. We do it in reading and sometimes I just feel like I am out of ideas! Thanks. -- Pamela

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous