Math Centers

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by blue678, Apr 25, 2011.

1. blue678

blue678 Rookie

Apr 25, 2011

Hi everyone,
    Does anyone know any particularly good Math Centers books/resources that they'd recommend? I'm looking for ones that I can set up for my students to work on independently/in small groups while I'm working with other students.

Also, I found some numeracy centers from Really Good Stuff, and wondered if anyone has anyone has tried/used any of these for 4th grade. If so, which ones would you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 25, 2011

One of my favorite centers is my classroom version of FARKLE. The kids love it (they are addicted...) and you can't imagine how their mental math has improved. They learn a lot about probability as well. All you need is a cup, 6 dice, and a classroom rules sheet (since there are dozens of versions of FARKLE out there, it is important that everyone is playing by the same rules.)

If you want the rules sheet, just send me your email address in a PM, and I'll email it to you.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 25, 2011

There is a game called Toss Up (or Toss Em)... it is in the card and dice game section of WalMart for just a few dollars, that is great for probability and numeracy. The entire game fits in the palm of your hand, and it keeps 2, 3, or 4 kids engaged, so you can do small groups.

Another game I love is 4 player Count Down. It costs around $15, but is made of wood and really holds up. I put a piece of carpet in the middle (about a 4 inch piece) to deaden the "dice" noise, but other than that, it can keep 2, 3, or 4 players well engaged and learning about using various equations for form numbers (it is like a 4 person version of Shut the Box.) Great for algebraic expression and equivalency.

I've also got a lot of dice games for 0-9 digit dice. PM if you want a copy of those.

5. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

May 21, 2011

math site

I joined yahoo groups mathmatters3-4 because they are always posting great resources.

6. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

May 21, 2011

I just bought these and will use them during my math rotations next year: http://www.theeducationcenter.com/t...ductId=TEC61034&OID=536934253&contentTypeId=0

There are also a couple of other good deals on the Mailbox website:
    http://www.theeducationcenter.com/t...oductId=TEC3228&OID=536929092&contentTypeId=0
    I use this all the time and it is on sale for $2! It is based on national indicators which align with most of our state indicators.

You can also get the Yearbook for $7 which is all of the yearly printables from the magazines. This is a bit off topic from your post but it has great math ideas as well as other subjects!
    http://www.theeducationcenter.com/tec/afc/books/basic/search.do?catName=The Mailbox Yearbook

7. dudeteacher

dudeteacher Rookie

May 23, 2011

I use some card games from positive engagement project called acing math. Basically a ton of math games and activities that kids can do independently using only a deck of playing cards. The instructions are pretty clear with some great visuals for kids to use. Good stuff.

8. kacieann

kacieann Companion

May 23, 2011

Have you checked out Laura Candler's math stations? They are great and require little setup.

9. MommyCaron08

MommyCaron08 New Member

May 28, 2011

Go to Amazon and check out Differentiating Instruction With Menus Grades 3-5: Math by Laurie E. Westphal. This keeps the students very occupied while working with a small group. Also, Debbie Diller has a new book out that now focuses on Math Centers. It is only for K-3 but you can make it fit for older grades... hope this helps a little.

10. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

May 28, 2011

I usually copy the games that come in The Mailbox or Teacher's Helper and use that. I also use Laura Candler's Math Stations all laminated for durability of coarse!

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 17, 2011

12. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 17, 2011

13. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 17, 2011

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 17, 2011

I have made a LOT, lot, lot of games from those files, and I know I can also copy and paste ideas into Microsoft Word files for my math journals. I use the 4th and 5th grade files, by the way, so then I can double up on the magnitude of resources I can pull from. :)

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 17, 2011

I'm going to have some exploration stations in my room for math. I'm going to do things like putting scales/balances, etc for them to use. I want to set up a measurement station. I also thought it would be cool to have a geometry station, maybe with nets (the patterns you fold into the solid figures) for them to explore with. Of course you can also do tangrams or math puzzles. I bought Debbie Diller's book. It's for K - 2, but I can easily take her suggestions and bring them up to my level. And honestly, I can use some of them exactly the way they are. I love her books!

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 17, 2011

17. MontanaBean

MontanaBean Rookie

Jul 18, 2011

ms.J,
    That truly is the most incredible free resource I have ever seen. Wow. Thanks! I have read many of your posts and would love to know what you do for reading and math (methods, recommended resources, daily routines, etc). Thanks for all the sage advice!

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2011

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 18, 2011

MontanaBean... I am always in the process of getting better! Eventually, I will gather more resources together with a good description. It sometimes takes years to fine-tune reading and math programs!

20. NC Teacher 4

NC Teacher 4 Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 19, 2011

22. blue678

blue678 Rookie

Aug 8, 2011

thank you!

Just wanted to say many many thanks for all the great ideas :) :) :)