Math Centers?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by S Dubb, Nov 6, 2010.

1. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Nov 6, 2010

Hi everybody. I'm trying to implement a math centers rotation in my third grade classroom at least once or twice a week, but I'm having trouble thinking of centers to keep the kids busy and engaged when they are not with me. I'm trying to steer clear of worksheets, but I know that I'll probably need to throw them in every so often...at least for review.

Ideally I'd like to have four centers, but I'd be happier with five. One would be with me where I introduce and/or review the skill for the day and work on whiteboards with the kids at the reading table. A second would be having the kids work with FlashMasters, but I'm stuck on the other two. Unfortunately I only have two computers in my room, so I can't really put a group of 5-6 students on those. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 7, 2010

What kind of objectives do you have coming up?

4. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2010

teacher12345,

I love the games that you posted. These would be great for a math center.

I know that our curriculum comes with math games to use that would also make a great center. Another center could be problem solving with a variety of word problems that the students need to solve and explain how they solved the problem.

Maybe even an investigation center. The students could collect data to make a graph, find the mean, median, or mode. Maybe the students could determine the fraction of students...

Another center could be an ongoing math project. Maybe have the students change a recipe to fit the entire class. Decide how to spend money to decorate their room.