Math Centers in kindergarten

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by teacherhoosier, Jan 29, 2011.

1. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Jan 29, 2011

Hello all, was just wondering if you use math centers in your kindergarten classroom, and if so, what they look like. I've used mine since about Sept. or so, but my principal wants me to start phasing mine out. I don't really mind doing that, since I think my kids see it as more of a free time than a serious academic learning time, but I am wrestling with how to set my afternoon up. In the afternoon, I have from 12:30 to about 2:05. I do a whole group lesson after lunch that usually lasts until about 1:00 (I do calendar for about 10-15 min in the morning). What I was thinking that from 1-1:20 might be a time for me to pull a small group for reinforcement/review of what has just been taught in the lesson while the others work on some kind of math-related activity..then from 1:20-1:40 alternate sci. and social studies lessons..1:40-2:05 is when I do a fine motor activity and also pull for more 1-1 (I have RTI groups pulled out during this time, so I don't really want to do a lesson..any thoughts or ideas...thank you!

3. map

map Companion

Jan 29, 2011

I would suggest that you go to kidscount1234.com and look at her site. I went to the National Kindergarten conference 2 years in a row and loved her presentations. She does a Math Calendar book that I have used for three years now. It takes some work because you have to change out the pages each month, but worthwhile for all the math skills they learn during that time each day. Also, she has a lot of printable sheets you can use to teach a lot of our math skills (dice, domino activities).

4. kmiller215

kmiller215 Rookie

Apr 3, 2011

Thank you!

Kidscount1234 is an awesome website!! Thank you so much for sharing!

5. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Apr 3, 2011

I don't do Math Centers daily, but I see them more as an extension after whole-group lessons. Might I suggest that next year you do a daily whole-group lesson before centers? then the kids have more to build their explorations on.

6. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Apr 5, 2011

Wow! What an amazing resource! I have spent all morning looking at this website! Thank youso much for listing it!!!

7. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Apr 7, 2011

I do math centers after we do our math work every day. They rotate centers which include blocks, legos, puzzles, manipulatives, measuring, and addition with dominos.
    I also have language centers which include library, listening center, phonics center, writing center and dramatic play/puppets.

8. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Apr 8, 2011

KatrinkaKat, do they rotate through all these centers in one day, or do a different one each day? How much time do you spend in this?

This next year is the first time I'll have full day Kindergarten and will have time for this. I think I would have them rotate between just 2 centers each day. One open-ended (maybe with a goal in mind) and one academic.

For example, if we're learning addition, one group might do:

Monday: blocks, addition card game
    Tuesday: white board addition game, legos
    Wednesday: manipulatives, review game of choice

etc..

I'm thinking, 20 minutes of each. With 20 minutes of whole group work to start it off, that would make it an hour total for math.

Thanks everyone for posting. Still thinking a lot about what I want my schedule to look like. :)

9. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Apr 8, 2011

Oh, and for the goal for the open-ended tasks, I would tie it into the theme.

So if we were learning about homes, I might challenge them to construct home from their manipulatives/blocks/etc..

If we were learning about hunting, I might challenge them to make a duck blind. etc......