Math centers- addition and subtraction

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by 1stGradeNewbie, Sep 3, 2007.

1. 1stGradeNewbie

1stGradeNewbie Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

I was wanting to do math centers on fridays and was wanting to various games with hands-on typ activities (like manipulatives). Do you know of any games or hands-on activities that I can have my students do to practice addition and subtraction?

3. eteach1

eteach1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

One idea is to either purchase chips with each side being a different color, or paint something like lima beans two different colors. The children take some, shake them up, and spill them out. They can add the two colors and record a number sentence. Another option would be to create the subtraction number sentence to match. I hope that makes sense...

4. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Sep 3, 2007

I love the previous post idea about the lima beans. I'm gonna try that.

Another one is you can buy the big foam dice and have them roll it and then write out a number sentence using the 2 numbers on the dice.

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 3, 2007

Egg Carton Adding:
    Label the inside of an egg carton with numbers in each of the indentations. Add two beans. The kids shake, open it and add the two numbers.

Math Dice:
    Using dice, kids shake two and add them. The great part about this activity is that you can get multi-sided dice to increase the difficulty. For example, start out with two 6-sided dice. Next, have one 6-sided and one 12-sided. You can end the year with two 12-sided. You can also have kids be in pairs and have each person in the pair shake their "level" of dice.

Math War:
    Buy cheapie cards, pull out the face cards and have students "win" the two cards by calling out either the sum or difference.

Beach Ball Math:
    I get the 99 cent beach balls at WalMart, draw squares on them and then add numbers (I use a Sharpie). Depending on the size of your classroom, you can have kids gently throw or roll the ball to each other and add or subtract the numbers by their thumbs.

Counting Bears Stories:
    Have students grab two handfuls of counting bears. Create an addition or subtraction story. Draw a picture, tell the story and ask a number sentence question. These stories can be used as another center the following week in which the students answer their classmates' stories.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 4, 2007

I have 3 section plates. I am going to do a lesson where kids use manipulatives and the plates to model addition. They can do it when they finish their work early the rest of the week.

7. checov

checov New Member

Sep 7, 2007

I made a lily pond from "funFoam", writing a number on each lilypad. The students use 2 or 3 plastic jumping frogs (from the dollar store) and try to land on a lily pad. Then they add the numbers and write the facts down on a corresponding sheet.

I also make a game called "Mousamatics" The purpose of the game is to add the numbers on a set of dice and then follow the key for drawing each part of the mouse. For instance - roll the dice and add the numbers 3+6=9. Look for the number 9 on the game card and draw what it says to draw.

If your answer is 9, draw a tail.
    If your answer is 5, draw whiskers.
    The kids have great fun, the mice are drawn out of order which leads to some silly pictures, and all the while they don't realize that they are practicing their addition facts!!

8. sbtellmann

sbtellmann Companion

Mar 21, 2009

The Mouse game is interesting! What are all your "drawing directions?"

9. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2009

This is good for number combinations. Before we switched to DNC, I had this as a station. There would be a container with the number 3, one with a 4, one with 5 and all the way up 10. The containers would have the same amount of two-sided counters as the number on the container. They would pick a container and spill the contents and record the number sentence. They would put the counters back in and spill it again. They would record the new math sentence. They keep doing this until they've found all the combinations of that number.

10. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2009

That's a great game and can be used all year long..during October we used to play "Roll the Pumpkin" and in November "Roll the Turkey" and in December could be "Roll the Snowman"...and so on.
    They roll the die, find the sum and do the corresponding directions until they have completed their picture.

You can easily make up directions to go with any picture you'd like them to create...maybe in spring time the game is "Roll the Flower"
    and this can also hit some of those Science standards by the directions being things such as "If the sum is 2, draw a root; if the sume is 3, draw a stem, if the sum is 4, draw three petals; etc"

11. old n new

old n new Rookie

Mar 22, 2009

My students really like taking dominoes and writing number sentences. For instance if they have a domino with 9 on one side and 2 on the other they would write 9+2=11.

12. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Mar 26, 2009

kidscount1234.com has a ton of math centers (plus all kinds of other great ideas). I use a lot of her ideas for my math tubs

13. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2009

Great site! Thanks!

14. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Mar 27, 2009

Try Race to 100: Kids use a blank 100 grid and two dice; roll the dice and say the sum (or figure it out, using counters, number grid, fingers, whatever), then color in that many squares on the 100 grid. First one to color in all the squares to 100 wins.
    Also, this is a little like Lynnn725's idea: I spray-painted one side of a bunch of lima beans red, so I had two-color counters. If you want kids to work on, say, combinations of 10, give them 10 beans. They shake the 10 beans, then roll them out, then write the combination of red+white - like 6+4=10, or 2+8= 10.If they do it a lot they begin to be able to anticipate the combination - for example, they'll see there are 4 red beans and right away know there are 6 white beans, without having to count.

15. cateste

cateste Companion

Apr 27, 2009

I think I got more great ideas out of this thread than any I've read before. Thank you all for the fantastic ideas.

16. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

May 9, 2009

At my school every Friday we have a set time for math games. My grade purchased a book called Math Dice game. We photo- copy enough sheets for each grade level. I make sure I have one for each group and i put the paper in a plastic sheet protector. They also use bingo chips to cover up the spaces on the board. There is so many great games they have in there. Look into Math dice games you might find something online as well.