math/calendar time

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by amyt682, Jul 13, 2010.

1. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jul 13, 2010

do you do a math wall or calendar time? just curious i havent and just wondered if you do...what exactly do you do and how long does this take during the day

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 13, 2010

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  4. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 16, 2010

Great Question! I'm moving up from many years in first and would love to hear more from everyone. In first it was a giant wall that was worked on daily for at least 10-15 minutes... Same thing for 2nd? :)

5. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jul 17, 2010

My calendar time was relatively short (around 10 min)...seeing how our Pledge/Prayer time was anywhere from 10-15 minutes (we have THREE school songs we have to sing each morning...:|), our calendar activities consisted of:

1. Saying/spelling the month
    2. Today's date
    3. Days of the Week song in Spanish
    3. Today is.., Yesterday was..., Tomorrow will be... (in English AND Spanish)
    4. Counting how many days we have been in school
    5. Reciting the books of the Bible, or reciting a multiplication or division chart (depends on what time of the year)

I assigned a job for someone to be the calendar "leader" in which that student leads all calendar activities (placing the date on the calendar, switching the days, adding a straw to the the counter).
    I will probably keep the same routine for next year, and might add counting the number of days we have been in school in Spanish as well.

6. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 17, 2010

The bolded is what I do. We do not do it in English and Spanish though. Instruction must be in English only.

Great idea to spell the month = )

7. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 18, 2010

I have taught 2nd for two years and haven't had a calendar time, but I'd like to have one this year. The past two years, I've had a calendar up and a child has the job of putting up today's date. That's about it, though. I really think it would be better to talk about it each day, though, but I don't want it to get too boring. I'm not crazy about Yesterday was, Today is, Tomorrow will be...any other ideas?

8. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 19, 2010

I am doing Calendar for the first time this year (I just moved from third to second). I have an ocean theme in my room and found these really cut popsicle-type sticks by Carson Dellosa with a little fish on the top. I am going to number the popsicles and randomly pick a popsicle to lead us in calendar for the day. I plan on doing:

- a pattern with the calendar cover-ups and having students predict the next graphic and name the pattern
    - adding a penny to our pocket chart piggy bank for each day we are in school and have the students tell me how much money is in the piggy bank (as the amounts get more complex I plan on having them tell me how else we can make that amount of money)
    - what the day's weather is like

That's all for now. I'm still thinking about what else to do during calendar.

9. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jul 21, 2010

all right, yall have convinced me..I'm gonna do a math wall this year

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2010

Okay, so I teach math to 2nd through 6th grade. I plan to implement a quick 5-6 minute calendar time (I only have the kids for about 20 minutes :( ). I work with the low kids so I need to catch them up on a lot of things.

For calender time with the second graders I plan to:

1) place value: each day, we will add a base ten block, once we get to 10 we will exchange for a base ten stick. This is similar to the straw thing that teachers do.

2) days of week/date/calendar pattern

3) judy clock- tell what time it is on the clock

4) write today's number as written, expanded, word form

5) daily coins- add a penny each day, once we get to five, exchange, keep track of how much money we have. Later on, do some math with the coins

6) shapes- identify shape based on how many faces it has, vertices, edges, etc.

7) daily graph

8) Monthly tally marks

With the time I have, I won't be able to do everything everyday, unfortunately.

11. MK2ndGrade

MK2ndGrade Rookie

Sep 1, 2010

I do a math and calendar time with my second graders.

Most of them know months/days so I don't worry about the month and day songs. Here's my routine and it only takes a couple minutes

1. We go through today's date and what tomorrow's date will be

2. Place value using days of the school year. I have a little three pocket place value chart with the straws, once we get ten straws in the ones pocket we bundle them and put them in the tens pocket.

3. We show the number of school days with a set of big money. So for the third school day we should have 3 pennies, and on 5's 10's and 25's we do coin exchanges

4. We show the number of school days on the number line, I have a big arrow and we move it to point to what day of the school year it is.

Then for the rest of our math meeting we do counting by 2's, 5's, 10's. For now we go 2's to 50, 5's to 100 and 10's to 100 but we're going to continually increase the stopping point. Sometimes I spice it up a bit and play a little math version of the spelling game "Sparkle" the kids love it and they have to pay attention to stay in the game.

That's all I do. This is my first year in second grade and I've just started so I may add more to the routine, but I'm keeping it simple to start.

Hope that helps =)

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2010

I am doing calendar this year too (first time doing it). I got my ideas from all of you, and so far so good, so good luck with yours!