math bulletin board ideas?

Discussion in 'High School' started by funnyface07, Dec 23, 2012.

1. funnyface07

funnyface07 Rookie

Dec 23, 2012

Everyone in our department takes turns doing the bulletin board every month in our wing.. January is my month but I'm kind of stuck with an idea or theme of what to do that isn't too childish (thinking of creative things like bulletin boards and what not was I think a big reason of why I did not become an elementary school teacher :rolleyes:). It just has to be math related.

Any thoughts? :)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2012

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2012

Examples of math in the real world...how math is used in life.

What has been done so far?

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2012

I saw a really cool math bulletin board that challenged passersby with "can you solve this?" The students wrote problems from their current topic on one side of a paper and wrote the solution on a paper underneath. I might actually put up a display like this after the winter break.

6. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 23, 2012

I've never done a full bulletin board (except to post students work), but in my first teaching position, I would post a "Math Treasure Question" on my door with challenging math problems.

An example: Write an equation equal to 100 using only 7, 7, 7, 7, and 1. (numbers can be grouped any way you like).

I offered a $10 gift card to Wal-Mart or Game Stop (winner's choice) and posted a new "Treasure Question" within a few days. I also posted the name of the winner for each question.

Wouldn't necessarily recommend providing the gift cards, but it was very popular at my first school.

7. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Jan 3, 2013

I really like the interactive bulletin board idea, with a puzzle or problem to do. And I love the math quotes, especially the funny ones!
    Also...how about math cartoons? Or a bulletin board on the history of the Pythagorean Theorem? It's such a neat theorem -lots of things to show. Or maybe pick a mathematician, along with the math concept he/she is known for.
    Also...can your class be a part of it? Maybe have examples of their really good work, along with an explanation of the concept they were investigating.