math block

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by love2teach, Sep 29, 2014.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2014

What does yours look like?
    I really tried to do math groups last year and it was not as successful as I wanted it to be.
    I want to give them a-go again this year & wanted to see what others are doing.
    I have a block that is about 45 min. long and that would have to include my mini-lesson/guided practice.

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2014

What kind of groups do you want? Something like centers?

When my kids go back to do independent practice I put them in groups based on how they did during the mini-lesson. Each table is allowed to help each other/discuss what they're doing. I sit with the group that had the most difficulty or needs to be retaught some previously learned skills in order to be most successful. I also conference with different students on their independent practice.

4. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2014

I'm not sure!
    I know I would like to meet with my struggling students a few times a week. I also know I do not want to spend tons of time prepping/creating centers or activities for them to do.
    Last year we had a workbook, so on the rare occasion that I pulled a group, I had that for the others to work on. We do not have a workbook this year.
    I was thinking that if I did centers, they might only get to one a day, so I could prep 4 for the week (I might leave Fridays for "fun" stuff) and have them rotate through 1 center a day? Not sure......

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 5, 2014

I'm doing Math Daily 3, and my math block looks like this:

-10 minute mini lesson (I do)
    -15 minute work time (kids are doing Math with Someone, Math by Myself, or Math Writing, while I meet with groups)
    -10 minute mini lesson (we do)
    -15 minute work time
    -10 minute mini lesson (you do)
    -15 minute work time
    -5 minute wrap-up/reivew

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2014

Interesting. That seems like a lot of back and forth and transition in one period. What does the work time consist of? Games, worksheets/books etc????

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2014

My kids are working on word problems in groups during independent time. Well really they're working on their own but they're allowed to discuss with people in their group if needed. Today they got very chatty but I knew from the mini lesson that pretty much all of the students knew what to do so I quieted them down.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 6, 2014

For Math by Myself, they're usually doing a workbook page or other worksheet that helps me see if they understand the lesson of the day. When they're finished, they have a variety of games to choose from. For Math with Someone, they're playing games with a partner. For Math Writing, I have a few prompts for them to complete each week.

It doesn't seem like too much back and forth. It's nice to split the lesson up a bit, otherwise it felt long sometimes. I felt like I was always losing kids.

9. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Oct 7, 2014

My math block is as follows:
    35 minute math lesson.
    2- 25 minute rotations. I have four groups: 1 group meets with me, one group with my para, one group is doing a math program on computers, one group is working on the assignment in their math book. On second rotation, everyone goes to something else.
    The next day, during rotations, I'll meet with the groups I didn't meet with the day before. This way every day each student meets with one adult, and in two days I get time for interventions with every student in the class.