Math binders/ notebooks

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WaterfallLady, Jul 20, 2010.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2010

My students need a lot of assistance with organization, so this year, I am going to help them set up binders. Can you help me come up with sections? It's Algebra IA but the students are low functioning so its also a lot of middle school math review and they have lots of reminder pages.

Here are the sections I thought of:

1. Reference section (formulas, etc)
    2. Daily Math- We do daily math so a section for it is great.
    3. Notes- the notes that came with the book confused the kids more so I am going to help them write notes.
    4. Classwork/ homework

I got dividers and 8 come in a pack so I can think of up to 8 sections. (Hooray for the dollar store and only having 5 math students!)

I am also going to try to color code everything to do with math class red.

While we are at it, we can talk about reading binders, too. These stay in class. Here's what I have so far.

1. DOL
    2. Writing Textbook work
    3. Reading Work
    4. Responding to Writing Prompts

I need more ideas. I don't know if I am doing phonics or anything yet with reading. Math kids are supposed to be working at HS level and reading kids are working at a third grade level.

3. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 20, 2010

Maybe a reading log? Like the 100 book challenge. I like the color coding idea.

4. LetsDoSomeMath

LetsDoSomeMath Rookie

Jul 20, 2010

For math; when I student taught- our kids had a notebook binder. We had them keep everything in chronological order. This kept everything about 1 concept together.

So it would go:
    Notes
    Classwork
    Homework
    Hand-outs

that whole clump of work was for a single concept. Then the next day it would repeat in that order.

This way things that have to do with 1 concept wasn't all over the notebook- they could find everything in one spot.