Math Beach Ball

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Dynamite Boys, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 2, 2011

I was given a math fact beach ball by one of my co-workers. It's a fairly large beach ball with printed math facts and story problems printed on it. For a quick review I'll let the kids toss it around - when they catch the ball wherever their right thumb is they have to answer the question. It's a really fun way to get some practice in.

My question is, I have heard there are many types of these beach balls available. I've done a Google search, but can't seem to find one. Does anyone know where a ball like this can be purchased? I know I could make one, but the story problems and drawings that are on it are great and I'd rather not make it myself! (Somewhat lazy, I know, but the pre-made one looks great!)

3. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 3, 2011

Are you only looking for math ones? I used to have these for reading comprehension, language, and geography. I quit using them though, the day a kid accidentally hit a light fixture and the fixture came down and nearly hit a student. It left a gouge in her desk. Oops.

Anyway -
    reading comp

4. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 3, 2011

I teach middle school math so I was just looking for math ones, although I'm sure the reading teachers would love to see these!

Oh my gosh - how scary about the light fixture. I never would have thought that could happen. I'll have to scan my room to make sure there is nothing that could fall!

5. missapril81

missapril81 Companion

Aug 31, 2011

I have found Reading ones in different catalogs. If I find any that maybe helpful to u I will let u know what companies to look at. Math ones however I have not seen, but I check again.

6. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

7. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2011

I know you didn't want to make one, but I have just taken a beach ball and numbered the different sections. Then I make a PowerPoint that has the questions/problems on it. This way, I can use it for any topic, without having to store so many!

9. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Sep 2, 2011

Berry and 4th - PERFECT!!!! That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks! Guess I can't search "Math beach ball"!!! Thanks for the help!

Amakaye - I like the idea! That would be a good way to not have to store a ton of them!

10. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Sep 3, 2011

Actually I'm just so glad you asked this question, because I saw one a long time ago, before I was teaching math, and forgot about it. I think it's a great idea though.

(P.S., I couldn't find anything searching for math beach ball either, I got to those results with math inflatable ball. But who says you can't practice math at the beach?! ;))