Math Assessments

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Breakaway4, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Breakaway4

Breakaway4 Rookie

Jul 23, 2012

I am wondering what everyone recommends for math assessments that work as a diagnostic tool. Has anyone use the Math Reasoning Inventory on the Marilyn Burns site? If you have do you have any good resources on tackling various deficiencies? Also, I am looking for another assessment that is quick but comprehensive to help level my Title I students. I have grades 5-8.

3. jenneke607

jenneke607 Rookie

Jul 23, 2012

I tried Marilyn Burns'/Math Solutions' Math Reasoning Inventory on a few kids last year. I liked the questions, which were thoughtful not overly reliant on mathematical modeling (which can sometimes be leading; this emphasizes authentic student thinking.

The student reports it generates were not as helpful. I would have organized the information myself, and included some more content information. The reports really show that this is about reasoning and not about what content the kids know or do not know.

How are you hoping to use assessments? If you want to know what content to work on, you can use components of the MRI, but it's not quite in the spirit of the design. It also needs to be conducted one-on-one, which may be a lot for your caseload.

I haven't found a ton of middle school assessments that I like, although I recommend checking out one of the books by Cheryl Rose Tobey (Uncovering Student Thinking in Mathematics -- there are a few levels available). If you want to try designing your own, this book (Mathematics Formative Assessment: 75 Strategies...) looks pretty good, though I have only flipped through it. David Spangler has a few books on error analysis with diagnostics in them (one on whole number computation, one on fractions) that you could try.