Math and Literacy Coaches

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by treysmom, Aug 17, 2006.

1. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Aug 17, 2006

Could you please tell me what your math and literacy coaches do? Besides checking your plan book for your framework numbers and your check off list that show you have taught each framework number, as well as coming in your room from time to time, do they also have resource materials available to help you? By this, do they provide you with helpful ideas, games, etc. when they come across things? I was under the impression that they were there to check our frameworks but also as a support person, but now I am not so sure I had the correct understanding.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2006

OOOOOOOOHHHHHH- treysmom, can I guess, are you in NYC by any chance? They are so misinterpreting the whole reading/writing workshop thing.....Literacy coaches (math too) are NOT ADMINISTRATORS....they should not should not should not be checking on your lesson plans.......Oh, I wish I had time to preach on this one!! They should be a facilitator, co-teach with you, offer support, resources, a shoulder to lean on.....I have on that is all of these.....Coach- think of the definition, teach and train, support, model, facilitate....If yours isn't doing this something is wrong, Nasa we have a problem......:(

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2006

Our reading coach last year would come in and teach a couple lessons to our class, give us updated research on some theory or another, go over our goals, what can we do to help our ELL students, met with us every now and then to see how things were going, sent our scores into OARS, and so on. She never checked to make sure we were all on the same page nor did she use a checkoff sheet to see if we taught each framework. Obviously, if we had low scores on the test, then we weren't teahing the reading program and the standards. My new reading coach is the same way. She even helped me to set up my classroom! We don't have a math coach here so no help there.

5. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Aug 19, 2006

Thanks for the info. Last year we had someone who was sent to the math meetings but did not take the coaching job. However, she would send ideas to us and just was so helpful; I got the idea that the coach would be a type of support person. I am from a state in the south and I am sure the job expectations vary from state to state.