Math/Algebra Teacher

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Valeriana, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Valeriana

Valeriana Rookie

Nov 9, 2007

Hello,
    what type of test/license do you need to teach Math/Algebra?
    is it for middle, junior, high school? any? elementary?
    thanks,

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 9, 2007

First, find someone in your state who can give you answers that are specific to your state.

In most states, there isn't a separate elementary math license or credential (and algebra doesn't tend to be taught in elementary school anyway). To teach math, one obtains a license or credential or certificate to teach math, and it usually entitles one to teach math in middle school and high school. Some states have more than one math license, but it's generally true that any license that allows you to teach middle school math allows you to teach Algebra I, at the least.

As to tests, that depends. New Jersey uses Praxis exams, and you can find out which Praxis II exams New Jersey expects on the ETS Web site: go to http://www.ets.org, then click on Praxis, then look for the link for state requirements. New York uses NES exams, and the Web site is http://www.nystce.nesinc.com.

There's generally also some kind of basic skills test, to ensure that prospective teachers in any subject can read and write and do math competently: for New Jersey, that would be Praxis I.

4. Valeriana

Valeriana Rookie

Nov 13, 2007

thank you. Hopefully after I passed my Elementary test i would start reviewing for the Middle School Math test.