Maternity Plans...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teaching Grace, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Nov 3, 2009

How far in depth do you go for your maternity plans? Typically we are expected to do the full 6 weeks worth of plans. But another teacher on my grade level did day-by-day for 6 weeks plus all her copies. The sub has had to change so much about her plans that 1/2 the copies have been a waste and she's no longer following what the teacher put. She just plans with myself and another grade level teacher.

I'm thinking about maybe just putting all the correct units that will have to be covered in folders. Then as she plans with my fellow teacher, she'll have all the materials. I always plan a week in advance so she'll have my plan book to get her started. Plus she already knows the grade level.... What do ya'll think?

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 3, 2009

Sounds like a plan to me tn2. We just have to plan for a week and leave our yearly plans behind...but then again we get 1 year for maternity leave (just had to throw that in :lol:).

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Nov 3, 2009

Just please don't do what a teammate did and plan so poorly that the other teachers had to scramble almost daily to bail out the poor sub :(

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2009

When I was out, I planned day to day, including tests (and I gave the subs copies of old tests for reference.)

But I was also teaching Precalculus and Calculus, and knew that whoever got the sub for those classes was going to want a lot of guidance. I told the subs that my suggestions were just that, and that wherever they were when I returned would be great.

Six weeks later, all 5 classes were exactly where I had hoped.

6. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Nov 4, 2009

I was a maternity leave replacement teacher and I was only given one week of plans as a reference and then you are on your own.

7. Teaching Grace

Nov 4, 2009

Yikes. Big range. The first time I went out on maternity leave my sub didn't use a single day of my plans (after I had done all 6 weeks worth of plans for him to use!). The sub that I'm getting has been in third grade (my grade level) 3 out of 4 of her last long term assignments. She currently plans with me and another teacher on my grade level. I think I'm going to double check with my P just to make sure that it's okay. But I'm really thinking about doing just the 2 weeks and then letting her go with it after that depending on what the grade level decides to do as far as our new units this year. Just hoping that my P goes for it too :)

8. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Nov 4, 2009

We're required to do 3 weeks of day to day planning and then the rest can be general long term plans.

9. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Nov 4, 2009

When I was a maternity leave replacement, I was given a list of the sections I needed to cover in the month that I was there and, if the teacher had them, the notes she had wrote for those sections the year before. Other than that, I was on my own.

10. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Nov 4, 2009

Our teachers are not paid by the district while on materinity leave so they do not plan while they are on maternity leave. Hence why they pay a qualified teacher to take over the class.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2009

When I was out I had to plan 2 wks & then the sub took it from there.

12. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Nov 5, 2009

i planned day to day for all six weeks and I made all the copies, etc for both maternity leaves- the only thing I didn't do was rip workbook pages for them...the first time the teacher didn't really stick to them as well as I would have liked-they were two weeks behind in history and a few days behind in language so I had to scrap some extra stuff I had planned when I got back to make sure they understood the material that they were behind in and catch up...I am currently on the second maternity leave so we'll see if she sticks to them or not...she sent me an update the second week saying they were behind in science, but they should be able to catch up...I told her I don't mind if she adds anything as long as she covers the Abeka curriculum, and doesn't get behind in that..all the extra stuff like the plant book we can finish in the spring

13. raincmr

raincmr New Member

Nov 8, 2009

I am set to maternity leave sub for a 4th grade class Jan, Feb and first half of March. It is my understanding that the teacher is responsible for doing specific plans for the first 21 days of her maternity leave and then long-term plans thereafter. My pay will increase after 21 days until the end of the maternity leave and this is to compensate for any extra planning I must do. Every school district has a different policy. If you want the sub to follow your plans, make sure to meet with them and openly discuss your expectations. I have already spoken to the teacher I will be relieving and will also meet with her at the end of November for a run down on what she's looking for me to do. I will follow her plans as much as possible. I think it's also important to select a substitute that you can trust and know will follow through. If you don't personally know one, ask around and find someone others speak highly of.

14. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Nov 8, 2009

Wow! I can't believe you guys left plans at all! I think it's hard to plan especially for reteach if you aren't there to see what gets finished or what needs re-taught or what gets cut short because of a fire drill, assembly, etc.

Our curriculum is very easy to follow...it is even dictated as to what you say! If you were desperate or have never taught it before, it is VERY easy! Of course, we never follow it that closely but if you needed to, you could!

I worked the first day of school and took the rest of the year off without pay. So, I didn't plan a thing. I left her pacing guides and showed where everything was. My room was left a disaster though! They were apparently a rough group and went through 2 subs. My walls had to be repainted because she let them draw on the walls and the tables and chairs! Brand new furniture! My printer and CD player were broken among other things! The toliets overflowed the first few weeks of school and when they "snaked" them they found 5 pencils from where the kids the year before had flushed them! It took me all of last year to clean up the mess she left. The sub now teaches full time at my building and I still cringe when I think of what she let my kids do! Needless to say, the thought of taking another year of maternity leave in the future makes me think, LOCK UP all your personal supplies!!!

15. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 9, 2009

This is exactly where i am right now. Three weeks into a 12 week maternity leave. (Now mind you...on MY own, i spent about 2-3 weeks in the classroom with the teacher before she left. To ME it was important to have a SUPER smooth transition. and it was...but that was without pay...most subs won't do that.)

I witnessed her working through her plans...and then she left me with one week's plans already done. (I practiced writing her plans out once while i was shadowwing her, and she pointed out what she needed changed - THIS was invaluable!!) Now I write them out myself for the entire grade level - meaning my sister teacher and support staff follow the plans *I* write up.

I think you might want to KNOW your sub and her ability. God help the person with a BAD LTS.

(P.S. I had a Bad LTS sub for my first pregnancy. He was a panic...but it was the end of the year and i finished everything that HAD to get done in the class BEFORE I left. Then he simply ruined HIS time, and I had to clean-up the fall-out in the fall. I was a music teacher at the time.)

16. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 9, 2009

Wow! Are you EXPECTED to do this...or do you tend to micro-manage?

Can YOU imagine YOUR plans being done for YOU (say, a year) in advance with no wiggle room to take the time where it's needed...or to deal with plans that leave you NO room to add your own style to your teaching?

Before my current maternity teacher left she said... "do what you want in order to make it yours. Move the furniture if you want...I don't care." :lol: I KNOW that that was the pregnancy being nearly over-due talking. But i HAVE moved a few small things, and I have replaced her morning calendar wall to update it and make it more efficient (even the sister teacher is now doing her calendar like I do mine).

I DO worry about having changed a routine..but even the sister teacher will say-you have to do what works for YOU! (I get the job done - but to have NO room for self-expression...IMAGINE it!)

17. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 9, 2009

WOW WOW WOW!!

What was the principal doing all this time?? My principal has stopped into my class... oh my... nearly 6 or 7 times within these 3 weeks. She checks on me a LOT..and I have the sister teacher on the other side of the 2/3 wall. I am competent...but for SURE they can't leave a long-term sub on her own and close the door (Never looking or caring what is happening. That your class went through 2 or 3 subs...I think that was also a matter of not enough support given those teachers.)

Side Note: After a few days of working on my current assignment, the teachers fridge konked out. Though there is NOTHING I did to it or could have done to save it...i feel awful about it.

(And the fact she is now a full-time teacher in your school makes me wonder if the administration pays attention at ALL.)

18. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Nov 9, 2009

Well, we were desperate for subs when she hired the first one...she had her dismissed after November when I decided I wouldn't be back. My principal was really a good one...but unfortunately, our state hires soley on seniority. The next in line for the job signed for it and principals have NO SAY whatsoever! :eek: They have to hire who is on the list unless they turn it down. Isn't that crazy!?! It's our unions... I think this is ridiculous! IT has caused a lot of "bad/lazy teachers" to get hired over very good hardworking teachers. There is nothing that can be done...except improvement plans...which are nothing really. Unless you write them in the first 3 years, once you have tenure, you are stuck with that lousy teacher!

19. Teaching Grace

Nov 9, 2009

Wow! I know with my first pregnancy I did the plans day by day and they didn't get used. But I have my sneaking feeling that it was more just an assumed thing that I didn't know what I was doing so he just did what he thought was correct... didn't hurt that he's friends with another teacher on the grade level. This time I have a sub who I'm friends with, is more than competent, and has told me that she's more concerned about knowing my routines than the plans. She's been in my grade level for the past 6 months of school.

20. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Nov 10, 2009

I'm out right now on maternity leave. I left a week's plans and copies ready. I also left a 10 page letter describing procedures/plans/policies etc and included my contact info and where I want the kids to be when I return in January. This LTS was a LTS for the entire year last year with these same students, so I didn't worry at all. I wasn't as organized as I wanted to be, but I felt ok with leaving it as it was. Turns out my LTS had her wisdom teeth out the first day she was supposed to start & didn't work until Friday of that week. So, I really needed to do 2 weeks of plans but I had no idea she was going to do that. I didn't get to meet with her before leaving (she went out of state and got married right before the job) so I thought it would be ok. So I guess she's been figuring it out. The only contact I've had so far is her asking me if I was going to come back to do conferences??? (principal's request...I was like WTH?? I'm on sick leave!)

I don't know if we have a specified policy. This is what I did January 08 when I was out the first time, so I just did it again. I've never been told otherwise. I couldn't imagine having to plan everything for 6 weeks or more...I do a skeleton plan for the whole time but not details...my class also changes by the day sometimes being special ed...schedules change, kids are absent, etc.

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 10, 2009

Hey Proud do you have a spare room and a job for me? I am coming to Alberta!

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 10, 2009

This is what I would do, sit down with your sub, and plan the first week maybe two before hand. Than go over what needs to be covered the rest of the leave and let her do what she feels needs to be done. If she has already taught six months in your grade level that means she knows where they need to be at the end of the year and where they are now.

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2009

Jaime, you could consider Ontario as well--it's the same here.

24. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 11, 2009

Or hop across the border to New Brunswick... same thing!

25. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Nov 11, 2009

i was a maternity leave replacement teacher last year and I wasnt given any plans at all. in fact i only got a note that said "use whatever you want in my room" which consisted of one giant mess and nothing i could actually use.

26. Teaching Grace

Nov 11, 2009

Yikes! Rose that is horrible!!

I have begun planning for my leave this week. I have decided to write out the first 2 weeks in my book and then I'm going to "plan" the other 4 weeks by writing each day's plan on the mini post-its. 1 for each subject for each day. That way if anything needs to change or rearrange my sub can change.

27. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 11, 2009

Wish I had the problem of maternity plans, my youngest is 25, I'd love to go back and do it all over again.