Maternity leave

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Chokita, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Mar 20, 2009

Have any of you been on a maternity leave and had a sub working in your classroom? How did it work out? Did you you have to do all the lesson planning? Did you leave your students' goals for the sub? Specific materials? List of strategies for behaviors? Or did you let the sub plan lessons for the class during that time?

I might go on a maternity leave next year, and I'm thinking about how better to prepare for that. :confused:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2009

My school subs internally.

The 2 times I took maternity leave, I left pretty comprehensive plans. ( I was teaching Intro to Calculus, Precalculus Honors, and a Consumer Education course both times.) I left day by day notes for the class, suggested test dates, copies of old tests, a suggested day by day plan-- the works.

But my subs all knew that they were only suggestions; they could play with them as necessary.

Both times I returned to find all my classes within a page or 2 of where I hoped they would be. Pretty remarkable considering that it was 5 different subs each time I was out.

4. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Mar 20, 2009

I am covering a maternity leave right now (though I am not a sub - I am a teacher on a mini-contract) and I was left with nada - granted, my kids had a sub (an actual sub) from January until a week ago, because the original teacher had planned to go on Maternity leave and come back for the final quarter, but she decided at the last minute to take the rest of the year off. So, it is very possible the original teacher left sub plans for her original sub - but those had long since run out when I arrived on the scene.

The biggest thing that I wish I would have had was an overview of the student's grades up until this point. I have report cards due next week, and I have to fill out the forms about how students on my caseload are doing are far as meeting the goals on their IEPs. I have no idea which goals have been completed, etc. Some of the kids on my caseload, I haven't even met - because I don't teach them. So, I am having to guess and fudge it a bit. And, I basically have to get it done over the weekend. Having all that information handy would have been a big help.

I haven't missed not having lesson plans, but I am certified in both ESE and my content area - I would think if I were in your shoes, I would want to have lesson plans pretty much done for the sub - because in my district - there is really no way to predict who you will end up with.

5. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Mar 25, 2009

I left a general outline. Some classes I had the plans made for the whole time, copies made, etc. Others I left the starting point. I left a very detailed letter about procedures, policies, where to find things, who to ask for help, etc. It was at least 4-5 pages long. I also left my contact info. I prefer email in such a situation, but also left my phone # in case it was something urgent. It worked out very well.

I will have leave again in October/November. It will be harder b/c I'l really have just started working with the kids after baseline testing & IEP writing. I'll probably have to be a little more vague. I will also be around a lot more though as my little boy will be in K and I'll have to transport him daily.

6. maestra121

maestra121 Rookie

Apr 1, 2009

If I can help from a sub perspective of 2 years, I agree with karebear76. For many subs with out knowledge of the school's policies, classrooms or students, a more detailed plan per classrooms/subjects is more helpful. many subs dont have the knowldge to pick up where you left off and run w a leasson. I worked in the same school with the same teachers so I knew how to use internet sources to make/creat work w/o the teacher's help, and even make exams, but I saw other subs called from the system who never worked there and they were totatly lost, and I had to intervine. many subs need a deatiled planed, some teachers even wrote them hour by hour lessons, left extra work for those that finished early, and two students leaders to assist them if necessary. Once again, that depends on the grade, course load, time of leave and clasrooms per day they will be attending if over second grade. you dont need to leave all the copies per assigment, you can just leave at note for her to make the copies durring her lunch of the main sheets, and she can do them if you were to know the sub. I hope this can help you a bit, I hope they give you a full time sub that already works there, and speak to her/him ahead of time so its easier on you. I never called a teacher when she was out... Best of luck to you, and Congrats :)

Laura