maternity leave

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by somedayteacher, Apr 14, 2008.

1. somedayteacher

somedayteacher Rookie

Apr 14, 2008

How much say does a teacher have in who gets to be her sub for maternity leave?
    -Paula

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2008

I would think that if the teacher had someone in mind, then they could request the sub herself. Some schools interview for long term sub positions. Not sure how your school does it.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, what stg said.

In our district, we're able to request particular subs for any pre-arranged absence. If we don't have a certain sub in mind, or if the sub isn't able to accept the job, then the computer will randomly assign a sub. Your district might be different.

One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes there are different requirements for a long-term sub. Make sure that the sub you want is eligible for LTS positions--the sub him/herself probably knows.

5. smarkham01

smarkham01 Companion

Apr 15, 2008

All three districts I've subbed in permit the teacher to request a sub whether long term or short term.

6. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 15, 2008

in my district, the teacher can request a first, second and third choice. If they all pass, the principal usually has the control of picking the replacement.

7. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 15, 2008

in my school system teachers or teachers aides pick the sub they want unless its last min or a meeting or something then the ladies in the office pick the sub ,but the teacher usually 99% of the time calls there own subs