Maternity Leave

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by nc4th, Apr 11, 2008.

1. nc4th

nc4th Rookie

Apr 11, 2008

I am going on maternity leave after our end of year testing with two weeks and two days left of school. I am trying to find things that I can have the kids do that wont require to much work from a sub. I have already lined up a great sub and i am not worried about any classroom management issues. She does prefer them to do independent work over group work and typically I do group projects at the end of the year. If you can give me any fun activities that can keep a group busy and still learning that will be great. I have so far for them to create an ABC's of surviving 4th grade book, a geometric city, state fact book for NC, and a memory book. Are there any other suggestions? Also, how do I arrange for the clean up at the end of the year? I am only in my 2nd year of teaching and last year it went smoothly but not being there makes it difficult to assign the students jobs and have them do the typical things I would have them do to aid me in clean up.:help:

3. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 11, 2008

I would suggest putting together a packet of worksheets that are semi fun, but still they will learn something from them. I always find that behavior management issues happen when the students have nothing to do. For the ones who finish other work early, it would be great to have a packet that he/she could work on.

How about a mother's day project? I'm not sure if you are leaving before moms day, but if you are you could leave a project they can work on daily to give to their mothers.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 11, 2008

Create an advertisement for the best book they've read this year, then present a commercial to the class about it.

For clean--up, I would leave the sub with the list of things that must be done and let her handle it however she wants to.

5. nc4th

nc4th Rookie

Apr 12, 2008

I have created some worksheets but I don't want it all to be boring things because that can cause behavior management issues. Unfortunately, I am leaving after mother's day and more then half of my kids do not have fathers in their lives which makes it difficult to do something for father's day. I like the book idea!

6. denise

denise Rookie

Apr 13, 2008

A great end of unit activity that ive done before is to get the kids to design and then make their own board game. They need to make the playing board, playing pieces, dice, instructions, etc... When they have all finished we have a board games afternoon! They take turns playing each other's games.

7. nc4th

nc4th Rookie

Apr 13, 2008

That is a great idea. Do you make the games themed around an unit of study or do they just have the freedom to make a game as they please on any topic from the year?

8. denise

denise Rookie

Apr 13, 2008

I've done it both ways.
    One year they had to create a board game about a book they had read (instead of a book report). This worked really well. The kids made their "players" different characters, as they travelled around their board they went through different settings from the book and they would land on different problems that the characters had to go through.
    The other year they could create a board game about any of the topics we had covered. This was also interesting. It was good to see that the kids had remembered things we had studied and there was a huge variety - reading, science, maths, spelling & history games.
    Its also a good idea to show them lots of examples of board games before they start planning. That way you get a good variety of types. :)

9. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 22, 2008

I am a sub and I think as long it is not something that has to do with testing or anything hard that the sub would need to be a certified teacher to do. Congrats on the new baby! How are the end of the yr grades goin to be done with you being gone? j/w on that question! Good luck to you!