Maternity Leave

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teach13, Jul 21, 2007.

1. teach13

teach13 New Member

Jul 21, 2007

I recently found out I'm expecting and am due end of Feb beginning of March.... I am freaking out, this will be my 3rd year at my school and I am so nervous about telling my principal about it. I am also very nervous about how my colleagues are going to respond to the news... To add to it, some of the students I will have in my classroom this year had a teacher last year who went out on maternity leave... Any thoughts or words of advice to help me deal with this stress? I'm going out of my mind with worry... Thanks

3. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

Is there some reason to think your principal will be upset? I can't imagine your co-workers being upset, unless there is some history there.
    Since you know that some kids that will be assigned to you had a teacher who left for maternity leave last year, the principal might appreciate knowing about your plans so that he/she can place those students in other classrooms. Unless you think you want to and will be able to keep your 'secret for quite a while, I think I'd tell the principal...not REAL soon, but soon enough to still switch students around.

4. teach13

teach13 New Member

Jul 21, 2007

I guess I'm just nervous... I've sent an email to the principal, hopefully he'll get back to me... I just feel badly having to change other faculty's class lists... don't want to ruffle any feathers... thanks for the reply

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 21, 2007

I wouldn't worry too much; this is pretty common in schools. There are only 13 classroom teachers in my building, and last year SIX people had babies!

Are you excited about the baby? Get plenty of rest now, and take care of yourself.

6. teach13

teach13 New Member

Jul 21, 2007

I am excited, I have just been so stressed thinking about this... but I'm so glad I decided to post about it because I'm already feeling a little better... This is such a neat venue for discussion... thanks for your reply

7. wildcat82

wildcat82 Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

Man do I feel your pain. Last year was my first year teaching and on the 4th day of school, I found out I was pregnant. The district was spending all of this money on me for new teacher training and orientation seminars as well as paying for my testing to become fully certified for the state of California. Needless to say, it was nerve racking going to tell my new pricipal, whom I hardly knew, that I was going to be leaving 3 months before the year was over and she was going to have to find a replacement! (oh- and I later had to tell her I wasn't coming back at all and moving to Kansas!!) I felt like people thought I got a job and purposefully got pregnant to get my 5 months of maternity leave with pay and then move awawy!! To top the cake....9 other women at my school were also pregnant and there was a shortage of subs in the district!!! It was stressful and among all of my (unexpected) excitement about my baby, I was struggling with my first year of teaching, and throwing up every morning...including in the classroom and at parent conferences!

So...here is what you need to remember....your baby feels everything that you feel, even in the very beginning. You being stressed is in no way good. Even though I was so scared to tell my principal, she was so excited for me. You already have it better than I did since you have been teaching for 3 years there! Don't feel badly about your kids having a long term sub for a few months. They will be just fine and they are going to be so excited to watch your tummy get big and talk baby stuff with you. My kids even threw me a baby shower! You just have to promise to go back and visit them! Also remember that since teachig is a mostly female dominated profession anyway, school districts are extremely used to people taking maternity leave. Just take a deep breath and remember that this is an amazingly awesome time in your life and you should enjoy every moment of it! My 2 month old baby Lucy is sitting on my lap right now as I write this and it makes me realize how fast time flies! Enjoy and good luck with everything!!

8. wildcat82

wildcat82 Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

One more thing...I waited until I was 8 weeks pregnant and had my official doctors appt. before I told co-workers and my principal. I wanted to make sure everything was going ok in my pregnancy first. That also gave me time to decide how to break the news and figure out what to say!

9. teach13

teach13 New Member

Jul 21, 2007

I can't thank you enough for your input... I can imagine how stressful it was for you!!! I have sent an email to my principal and am hoping to set up a time to meet with him, my first doctors apptmt is Tuesday so hopefully all will go well and I will be able to tell him and switch any kids out(from the class that had a maternity leave last year)... I think I'm mostly stressed because my teaching partner can be difficult to work with and will most likely be highly annoyed that my status will effect her class list... ARGHHH! Well, again thanks for the input, hope we can chat again about other issues...

10. RobyBrow

RobyBrow Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

Firts and foremost...CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Take a deep breath and RELAX. This is one of the BEST times in your life. I too just had a baby on March 20. I told my principal about it shortly after school started last year, and she was very happy for me.

There is no need for you to worry. That is what women do...they have babies and take maternity leave. I was out for 2 and a half months before the baby for bed rest. It is important for you to take care of yourself and the baby first!! That is more important than any coworker, parent or administrator. The kids will be fine. If you do not want to tell anyone, then don't that is your perogative.

Blessings and Good luck!

11. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS! :)
    Pam