Maternity leave

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mrs100, Jul 17, 2007.

1. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Just curious, do any of your districts give you paid time off for maternity leave? I was told at my district I am paid only if I'm using my own sick time. After I've used those, they deduct my pay. Ouch! I have a friend in Canada who gets 6 months PAID! Just curious to see what other districts out there do...

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 17, 2007

My district is the same. Once your out of sick and personal days, they dock you pay for every day you miss.

4. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

Mine is the same. You have to use your own sick time. I'm trying to save up b/c our sick time rolls over to the next year.

5. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 17, 2007

For my upcoming maternity, I'm assuming that I'll get 13 days paid out of 6 weeks. I'll find out today when I sign my contract. It sucks, but it is something you have to leave with. I just switched districts, at my old job I would have had 25 days paid for. I had to weigh my opitions. I choose the job with the less sick days, because I will be making much more and I won't be using as much gas to drive.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

We can get Employment Insurance Benefits for a maternity leave for up to 50 weeks (as long as we have worked a certain number of hours in the previous year). We are guaranteed to return to the same position we leave if our leave from school is 1 calendar year.

7. Tookie Williams

Tookie Williams Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

why don't you plan to have the kid when school gets out for the summer? Conceive in August/September. Problem solved.

Either way, a big stink about maternity leave a couple of years ago at my school. We had 2 teachers get preggo and were due in March. One was science, one was SPED. The problem wasn't the Science teacher, it was the SPED teacher, who was out for 2 months (she had the time, that wasn't the problem). The problem was, who had to pick up the workload of writing all the IEPs that all seem to come up for renewal around this time of the year? Answer, the male teachers who were left over NOT on maternity leave. HOw is that fair? they both had the same responsibilities but the preggo girl shirks her responsibility due to something that could be avoided, or at least held off a little with planning.

Either way, the real problem came the next year. We had another lady get preggo and would be set to deliver in November. The Principal told her he was going to move her from SPED to 7th grade L.A. for the next year since she was preggo. She didn't want to, she's one of the few SPED teachers out there that wants to do SPED. He told her it was to alliviate her stress that SPED brings and in her condition...

She kept pressing the issue though, and he (I think foolishly) told her that he was moving her because he didn't want what had previously happened with IEPs. She then transferred schools.

8. KinderCali

KinderCali Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

look into it

Look into the FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) to see what you are entitled to, and check with your union as well. From what I understand, you get 12 weeks unpaid (but benefitted). Plus you can add on to that extra sick or vacation days you haven't used up yet. Unfortunately, I think that is all you are guaranteed at the federal level in this country! I do think some districts may have more generous plans.