Maternity leave

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Jun 2, 2020.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 2, 2020

:) I’m having a baby in mid fall. I plan to take the full 12 weeks but am stressing out about logistics.

Honestly, my school sucks at all things organizational. So I want to know what’s “normal” and what I can and can’t be asked to do.

Can anyone tell me about their own experience, or the experience of others you know, with planning for maternity leave? Here are some things I’m wondering:

Who found the sub?
    How did logins work for the several pieces of technology we’re all using now, such as Google Classroom - are passwords shared?
    Who provides training for all this tech? (Seriously, we use a lot. I can’t imagine a sub just stepping in and using it all, but it’s all required. Basically everything we do is online.)
    Were you expected to check email still?
    Who provided lesson plans?
    Were you held responsible for test scores for the portion of the year you were gone for? (Our kids test right at the end of my leave)

CherryOak and Tired Teacher like this.
  3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2020

I've taken 3 maternity leaves. I believe our contract only requires us to leave 2 weeks of detailed lesson plans and then it is the responsibility of the long term sub. However many teachers leave more or their teams provide ongoing plans.

It's on the district to provide a sub, but I always like to secure my own.

My absences were before we relied so heavily on tech so I can't speak to the login situation. Hopefully a sub would have a district email and then you could add them as a co-teacher in Google classroom or whatnot.

I've seen teachers still do grade cards while they were out.

Depending on the situation, I checked email. With one of my leaves I missed the beginning of the school year and chose to come in and do orientation (I teach K) and assess my students. That wasn't an expectation, though.

With my youngest, I was hospitalized from 31 weeks, so I did schoolwork from the hospital sometimes. It wasn't required.

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 2, 2020

Thank you! That’s all very helpful.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2020

If you’re on FMLA, you really shouldn’t have to do anything. If you want to do stuff because it’s more of a convenience for you to do it than not, that’s your choice. But beyond the first week or two of lesson plans (whatever your district requires) you can leave everything else up to the sub.

I left a document with basic info about what I thought the sub may need. I made the topics bold and wrote brief descriptions underneath.
    Copies
    Copies can be made ahead of time by dropping off masters with Jake in the Graphics Center.

I would leave tech up to whoever handles tech at your school. Send them an email (and CC your supervisor) letting them know that you’ll be out on leave so that they can set up access for your leave replacement.

Congrats!

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2020

I guess my post sounds like I did a lot while I was off. I do want to echo that if you're on leave they shouldn't be able to require anything. And, in most cases, you're probably not technically allowed to work. We have to be cleared by our own physician and the board doctor to return.

I have seen some teachers miss PT conferences due to being on leave and have to schedule them when they return.

There are some things you may choose to do just to make life easier for post-maternity-leave you.

Although I've seen plenty of first time moms have grand plans for what they plan to keep control of. Then, once the baby arrives, priorities change completely.

Backroads likes this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 2, 2020

Congratulations!!!!!

My maternity leave from 5 years ago:

School hired the sub. It was kind of a funny situation: the sub was actually given a fairly standard teacher contract for the year as there were three maternity leaves that all luckily flowed throughout the year--the sub just moved classrooms every few months.

She was given separate login to my materials.

She was a recently retired veteran teacher, so I don't think she needed much training. The school admin seemed to cover all the minute details.

I was told to make about two weeks of lesson plans. I did. I think she rejected them (again, had taught longer than I'd been alive). She made her own lesson plans.

I fairly ignored emails. My understanding is that if it's FMLA, it's illegal to have the employee do work without pay.

No testing in my grade.

8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 2, 2020

Remember...

You can't be required to create lesson plans or do grading or the like while you are out. In fact, I don't think you can even be safely asked to do so...

geoteacher likes this.
  9. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 2, 2020

For my last leave, I left two weeks of plans. I did give my sub my login for certain accounts. I also read my emails so that I could stay current with what was happening at school. I emailed the dub a couple of times to see if he had questions, but that was really it.

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 2, 2020

In my district...

The principal secures the sub. The teacher on leave or the teammates left behind can make suggestions and requests, but the responsibility and decision ultimately lies with the principal.

Whether passwords are shared depends on the tech being used. Long-term subs are given their own computers and emails. For certain websites or apps, they may have to use the teacher's login info. The tech dept usually gets the sub set up with the computer and email, but training on particular websites and apps usually falls on teammates to do on an as-needed basis.

No one on leave is expected to check email. Some do check, but they rarely respond to anything. Legally, those on leave can't even be in the building in a work-related capacity, and checking email is also a no.

Most teachers usually leave unit overviews and a general pacing guide, along with instructions to communicate with the team about what the day-to-day and week-to-week might look like. There might also be a few day-to-day lesson plans left for the first few days or so, depending on who the sub is. Often, there are transition days at the beginning and end of a leave period so that the sub and regular teacher can learn from the other how the classroom has been operating.

No one on leave is held responsible test scores, specifically... but that's true even when everyone is present at work. My district just doesn't put that much weight into test scores. Those who take a long-term leave still have to go through the entire evaluation process. It just gets crammed into a smaller period of time than it would otherwise.

11. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jun 2, 2020

ON FML: 1. The P ( He knew a young cute girl that he thought would be good....haha)
    2. They have a guest log in for many programs we use. I would only share passwords with someone I knew well. The P has his own password he can share too.
    3. The P sometimes has to help....if the sub is friends w/ anyone at the building, they help too. He picked the sub, so he was responsible imo.
    4. No, I did not check email even 1x.
    5. I did the 1st 3 weeks because we are required to have 3 weeks on hand. After that, the sub took over. ( Normally, I think it is 2 weeks.)
    6. Test scores are given almost zero credence here.
    7. If it had not had it been an emergency situation: I'd have left the guides out for the sub, but I wasn't able to and school went on...:) A friend of mine got them for the sub.
    On leave, I think you are required to disengage. When I'd get a call from the school, they were always very apologetic because I think they were not supposed to even be calling me at the time. I never minded because they did not "take advantage."
    You are in a trickier situation now though. Do you know if school will be online or back in the classroom?

Backroads likes this.