Maternity leave

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Learner4Life, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 6, 2012

What does your contract say about maternity leave?

I was a little shocked to learn that ours is only the amount of leave days you've earned... so if you get pregnant in your first year teaching you only get 12 days! :unsure:
    Since I'm now on the negotiating committee and may want to get a better deal, how do other schools work it?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 6, 2012

In my district, you take FMLA leave when you are out for maternity leave. It allows for 12 weeks of unpaid time off. You can take your sick days concurrently so you can get paid for the amount of days you have. Next year, I am taking 6 school weeks off, which is the number of sick days I have, so it will be paid, but I have the option of taking another 6 weeks, unpaid. I can't afford that, so I will be back! (Of course, I have Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks that will occur during my off time, so I actually get a little over 8 weeks at home with baby!)

However, my district will deny you FMLA if you have not worked for one contract year.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2012

What does your contract actually say? I think that what you posted here doesn't sound quite right. It's possible that your district will only pay you for the days you've earned, but as long as you've worked for at least a year, I think they have to give you at least six weeks of per FMLA. Anything above your 12 days of accrued sick time will have to be taken unpaid. At least, that's how I understand it. I could be way off base.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2012

Our district is the same as yours. You can only take the time off that you have built up in days.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2012

Really?? When does FMLA kick in?

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2012

I have no idea. I didn't have to take any days since I had my daughter before I started teaching.

8. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 6, 2012

We get six weeks. We can use any accummulated sick leave after that.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2012

Here it's six weeks unpaid... but that starts AFTER you've used up all of your accumulated sick pay.

It sounds fishy to me, but it's happened to both of my friends with recent babies (and they were still responsible for lesson plans and grading while on leave).

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 6, 2012

If you have worked for one year and your district has 50 employees or more, you should be eligible for FMLA, which gives 12 weeks unpaid time off. It's a federal law. I'm not sure how districts could possibly get around this.

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2012

We are allowed the 12 weeks of FMLA. We must first use our sick time and once that is used up, we can take the rest of the 12 weeks unpaid.

If you have reached tenure, you can take a year leave of absence unpaid.

12. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Jun 6, 2012

We can take up to 2 years off unpaid. As far as getting paid, you can get paid up to 6 weeks or 8 weeks depending on delivery. However, out of those 6/8 weeks, you only get paid for however many sick days you have. For example, I gave birth to my daughter in April via C-Section and am getting paid for 8 weeks of leave (I have enough sick days to cover this). However, I am taking off the remainder of the year, which means that I will be having approximately 2 weeks unpaid. The good thing about this is that our payroll clerk started taking money out of my paycheck in September, so that I will get a paycheck during my unpaid time (hopefully that makes sense).

13. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jun 6, 2012

In total, we get up to 52 weeks, paid. Seventeen of those weeks are pregnancy leave and then we can take up to 35 weeks of parental leave. We receive 55% of our salary from the government and then most employers, including mine (though not all) will top up, so that you receive your full salary.

14. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jun 6, 2012

In my district, they allow you to use up any sick days/personal days you have stored up. Then you can use FMLA.

I'm due in 3 days and since this was my first year teaching, I only accumulated about 7 sick days. Plus, I was denied FMLA because I haven't worked there a full year yet AND I worked as a .8 employee. FMLA requires that you work a certain number of hours during the given year and I was short due to not being full-time.

Thankfully, I'm due at the end of the school year so I kind of lucked out with the timing!! It would have been nice, however, to have the summer with my baby and then use FMLA time for the first semester so I can be home that much longer with my little guy. We had two teachers do that this past year.

15. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jun 6, 2012

We can take up to 12 calendar weeks paid, as long as we have the sick days to cover it. It was 6 weeks for my middle pregnancy, then during my 3rd pregnancy they changed it to 12 weeks. So I was able to stay home from end of Oct to end of Jan. That was great. My first is a summer baby so I didn't take any leave at all.

16. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 6, 2012

You're right... I can take more than that but it would be unpaid, which SUCKS cuz I can't afford that! Sounds like I need to move to Canada!!! :lol:

17. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2012

I am moving to Canada. Where do I sign up?!

How long do you have to have worked before the pregnancy to be eligible for that?

18. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jun 7, 2012

You need to be working for at least 1 year prior to your due date, but it can be in any capacity (part time, full time, etc). The 55% from the government comes from the employment insurance benefits that we pay. It's also available to adoptive parents as well as birth fathers, but I'm not sure exactly how that works. A teacher I used to work with adopted a child and she took nearly a full school year off. Also, my SO's cooperating teacher, a male, took parental leave in addition to the pregnancy and parental leave his wife took. I believe that one of them was at home with their child for the first two years of the child's life.

Either way, I can't imagine having to go back to work after only a few weeks!

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2012

I can't imagine that either, Shanoo.

When Alex was born (over 21 years ago!), my husband and I split the leave. I was home for 5 months, then went back to finish up the school year while he stayed home, then I took the rest of the leave. Several of our teachers who have had children recently have split the 52 weeks with their spouses as well.

20. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jun 7, 2012

I know. I argued it, too, when SO told me, but he was adamant that his cooperating teacher took it. He even said that the cooperating teacher was the first man to it in Manitoba, I think. It was either Manitoba or this particular school division.

Like I said, I'm not sure exactly how it works. SO has already gone to school, but I'll ask him about it when he gets home this evening.

21. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jun 7, 2012

The CA Education Code says we get paid 50% for 6 weeks (after any sick days are used up), or 8 weeks for a c-section. FMLA runs concurrently and beyond this, so I could have taken an additional 4 weeks unpaid after my maternity leave last year.