Maternity Leave

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mjennings, Aug 12, 2011.

1. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Aug 12, 2011

Have any of you started off the school year on maternity leave. I will be out on leave from the very beginning until Mid-november. I was just wondering what you did to try to keep in touch with your students and getting to know them.

Any suggestions would be great.

3. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Aug 13, 2011

Could you Skype with students from home? Another grade did that when a teacher was gone from March until June due to an emergency knee surgery. I also saw another school do that for a student. She was ill (I forget what she was battling), but they would skype her in for reading discussions, presentations, etc.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2011

When you are on maternity leave, don't feel any kind of need to worry over your classroom. Spend as much time enjoying your little one and getting to know them.

You can send home a letter to your students explaining the situation. Go in to visit a few times (with your baby if you can), they'll love it.

But remember, this is your time for you to recover and to bond with your child. You won't have this time again and once school starts for you again, life is forever changed.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2011

I would respectfully suggest that you don't.

You're on maternity leave because this time is so important to you and your new child. You'll be lucky to get 3 consecutive hours of sleep for the first 4 or 5 weeks. Seriously.

A competant professional has been hired to teach your class. This is time you'll never get back with your baby. Don't give school a thought.

6. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 14, 2011

Both my babies were born within the first week of school starting... I ended up taking the entire year off with both of them! Don't give school a second thought...you have new priorities now! I will say, I learned from my first leave, DO take or pack up all your PERSONAL items! I came back to many things broken, missing, etc.! The sub was awful! When I returned the room had to be repainted and the toilets would no longer work...(my classroom was BRAND NEW! Only 2 years old)...after the custodian snaked the toilet he found out why...the boys had flushed 9 pencils!!! The teacher had NO control! If you have any pull or say whatsoever, get a GOOD/DECENT sub!!! We were desperate when I took my leave and ended up filling it with someone who had a business degree!:/