maternity leave

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KatieC, Sep 20, 2010.

1. KatieC

KatieC Rookie

Sep 20, 2010

I have about 5 weeks left of maternity leave and I am so excited AND so sad to go back to school!

My son was born in July and I took the first quarter off of school to stay home with him (he's our first)! We still aren't entirely sure of what to do for childcare when I go back... we are hoping that my DH is able to find a new job working nights. I just don't know how people can afford child care.

Anyway... this is the 4th year at my school and I miss everyone terribly. Especially when school started and all the school supplies were in the stores- I love back to school time!! I've stopped in with the baby a few times to tide me over. Teaching was my "baby" for so long but now my priorities are changing.

I can't imagine leaving my little one every day all week... he's the love of my life!

I realize I am rambling like an idiot... but I just had to get it all out! I'm so blessed to have a job I love and a son I love even more!!

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 20, 2010

Congrats on the birth of your son. Trust me, savor every moment of your maternity leave...your precious son will never be this little again. He's lovin' the mommy and me cuddle time too!

Your son...and your students...are lucky!

4. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 20, 2010

Hi Katie,

Congrats on your sweet son!!! I am due in February and will also miss school and my class very much -- but can't wait to get to know why little guy or little gal! :)

5. Anne wmcosuvamu

Anne wmcosuvamu Companion

Sep 20, 2010

Congratulations! I can't imagine leaving my baby to go back to work, either. We're a couple years from starting a family still, but that's something I already have nightmares about!

Just curious... how long do you get for maternity leave?

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2010

Congrats on your son!! I am due in 7 weeks and will be out for 14-16 weeks, so I'm sure I'll be feeling like you come February when its time for me to return. :hugs:

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2010

I stayed home until each of mine was 6 months old and I missed teaching soooo much. Teaching was so much of "WHO" I was. It still is, but now mom is a big part of who I am, as well. And sometimes, those two parts have a huge battle - most noticably, when it's time to leave your baby for the first time.

I hear ya about paying for child care. I had THREE kids in four years, all of them in childcare together. It was hard. For one brief 3 month period, I paid out about $10 more per week than I took in. I stuck to it because I knew it was temporary....

8. KatieC

KatieC Rookie

Sep 20, 2010

Thanks for all of the encouragement! It's good to know that my irrational thoughts are quite possibly rational!! Being a mom is the best job in the world... followed closely by being a teacher!

Congrats to those expecting... I hated being pregnant honestly. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat for my little one! And if you haven't found it already- check out the Baby Center website... it's a great resource! I joined a Birth Club for babies born in July 2010- it was nice to share all of the joys and horrors of pregnancy with those who were going through it at the exact same time!

9. KatieC

KatieC Rookie

Sep 20, 2010

I work at a charter school so didn't get anything paid for maternity leave. I chose to take FMLA leave for 8 school weeks (can be up to 12 weeks). The hardest part is not getting paid but hopefully you will be able to use sick time or paid time off to help! (Our sick time and personal time doesn't roll over at the end of the year... use it or lose it!). My next child will have to wait until I can find a job at a district school where at least I can take short term disability!!! :whistle: