Maternity Leave

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by ohp326, Jul 2, 2005.

1. ohp326

ohp326 New Member

Jul 2, 2005

I am expecting my first child in August therefore; I will not be starting the school year with my new group of students. I am extremely nervouse about this and since this is my first child I don't know the first thing about preparing for maternity leave. Does anyone have any good tips or ideas that have worked for them in past experiences? I am up for anything!! I look forward to hearing from you soon, thanks for all your help!!

3. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 2, 2005

When they are newborn is the easy part. Just make sure you have sleeping arrangements in place for the baby, make sure you know how you will feed him/her (breast or bottle) and have a good supply of diapers, baby soap, etc... and a few sleepers and baby blankets. You really won't need much else for a few months. If you are planning on breastfeeding, I strongly suggest you get the book "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" I got it years back through 'La Leche League' and I don't even know if this organization still exists but it's a great book to help you know what to expect, problems that may occur and how to solve them, etc... If you can't find a representative of the organization, maybe you can get the book on ebay or through a search on the net. Other than that, just relaxt and enjoy - let your motherly instincts take over. ;) There really isn't anything to know, it's just a wonderful time when you can slow your life down and just focus on you and your baby. Some things to think about, discuss and agree on with your partner: Will you use a pacifier (some believe it impedes breastfeeding by confusing the baby), how will you deal with the baby getting up so many times a night (some find it easier to bring the baby back to bed with them so they can still get some sleep), Will you use cloth or paper diapers. These can be sore points if not discussed beforehand. Read lots but don't let the books decide for you - follow your instincts. Don't let well-meaning people try to sway you from doing things the way you see fit. Trust yourself.

My kids are now 10 and 12 and I stayed home with them until my youngest was in school and they were some of the best years of my life. Enjoy it because it has a way of going by so fast and you can never get it back. :love:

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2005

I agree with Canadian Teacher for the getting the baby ready part. La Leche League is still around you can find them on the internet as well. I would also add if you are planning to breastfeed invest in a good pump!!!!
    When I took mine out of the house luckilly I didn't live far from sitter or work...I had this lingering feeling I was forgetting something...got to the sitters....my extra milk!!!! YIKES!!!! The sitter said diapers, wipes, clothes we could have made due, but that they couldn't help with!!!!

The other thing have everything pretty much ready the night before and in your face as much as possible, so you don't forget something!!!!

School...usually you plan 1-2 weeks out and then the sub takes over. You'll have to ask how it works at your school. I know my long term sub came to my house cause baby was early!!!! (I wasn't prepared at all, if that tells you how early)!!! Maybe find out what who your sub will be to get in contact with them. Don't be discouraged if your stuff isn't where you left it or you wouldn't have done something one way... the kids will adjust when you go back!!!!

If I can help in any other way let me know I was in your shoes a couple years ago!!!!

5. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jul 6, 2005

Just a question: How long do you get for maternity leave?

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2005

I got 6wks from the day the baby was born which was a little weird because they counted Xmas vacation as part of it. I actually went to my midwife and got 2 wk extension. So total 8wks for me, but it was unpaid.

7. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jul 6, 2005

ouch...when my kids were born (1991, 1993 and 1996) our maternity leave was (nationally legislated) six months - 4 months maternity leave and 2 months parental leave (the 2 months could be taken by either parent) at 60% of salary. I worked for a company then that did a "bump up" and paid the remaining 30% so long as you agreed to come back to work for a year after maternity leave. Now in Canada, maternity leave is 12 months long and I believe it is at 50% of salary.

I can't imagine having to go back to work of any kind after only six weeks, much less teaching!

8. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Jul 6, 2005

most maternity leave here is unpaid
    I was lucky, I have disability insurance that covers maternity...
    So after I used my sick days.. I got something like 80% of my pay

9. ohp326

ohp326 New Member

Jul 6, 2005

We get a minumum of 6 weeks, but we can take more time if we have enough leave built up. I also have disability insurance and this will cover sub pay for the remainder of my leave.

Thank you guys so much for your help. Besides being out at the beginning of the year on maternity leave my principal called me this evening to let me know that we had a water leak in our building. She said she didn't want to stress me out, but that my room has extensive damage. I am going to the school tomorrow to survey the damage so please be thinking of me.

10. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 7, 2005

Sorry to hear about your water leak! I hope that you aren't too stressed out after seeing the damage. Remember there is nothing you can do at this point. Take care of you and the baby! Enjoy the time away from school:)