Maternity leave question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Shanoo, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Oct 19, 2014

I'm 36 weeks pregnant and I'm planning on my last day being this coming Friday. I'll take sick leave until my due date and start my maternity leave then (or when the baby is born, whichever comes first). I'm in Canada, so my leave will be through the end of the year.

They had trouble finding a replacement for me who was qualified to teach my position and the person they did find is coming from out of province. He isn't able to be here until my maternity leave starts as he has to find a place to live, etc. They have someone in the interim who isn't as qualified to fill in for the sick leave.

My question has to do with what I should leave for the my replacement? I'm not talking lesson plans. I know the interim person and I'm giving her my materials and the actual hire will be required to plan his own lessons. I guess I'm more concerned about the other things. Should I leave notes about how I've been running my classes? Which students to watch out for due to academic or behavioural concerns? Do I explain my assessment scheme or let him figure it out himself?

I've never been on this side of a leave before. I've always been the teacher coming in and not the one leaving and there has always been overlap. I've been able to go in and teach with the outgoing teacher for a few days to see what he/she does and how the kids are. That isn't possible here.

Advice?

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 19, 2014

I would leave as much as information about your students and your classes as possible. this will make it easier not only for the teacher, but also for your students. It will be hard for them to see you leave, and then have another person take over, and then another. So a little continuum with classroom management, procedures and routines will help.

Of course they can change things if they want, but they will probably be grateful for info on:
    - any procedures and routines
    - discipline plan
    - rewards
    - how you normally plan your lessons, for example do you have a specific type of warmup they're used to, or independent reading on a certain day they're looking forward to, etc.
    - any info on students. Does Suzie need to sit by herself because she will hit students, does Andrew need to sit up front because he can concentrate better? Things like that.

4. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 19, 2014

Agree with Linguist 100%. Leave information on EVERYTHING...routines, policies, etc., to best make this transition as seamless as possible. Anything you can do to make the least amount of change for your students is good!

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 19, 2014

I left all of that information and we emailed off and on when my LTS had questions about something.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2014

I would leave as much info as you can about the students, as well as letting them know what has (and hasn't) worked for you so far this year.

Enjoy your last week!

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2014

If you're not returning to the classroom until next year with a new batch of students, I'm not sure that I would recommend spending a lot of time making lists of what you do in your classroom. If the replacement teacher changes things up, it won't really impact you at all. Certainly if you want to leave this information and have time to get it all together, do it. If not, though, I think that's okay. Leave contact information for someone at the school who can offer guidance about school policies, which I really think should be enough.