Maternity Leave/Planning question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by iluvteachin, Apr 5, 2009.

1. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Apr 5, 2009

Hello all. I am going to be on maternity leave from late Sept to late Nov (hopefully) and I am just now beginning to think about how to prepare for that. My question is this for those of you who have gone on maternity leave during the school year:

Do you plan EVERY single thing for the entire time you are gone? Or do you leave ...standards/concepts/etc to be taught and expect the sub to go from there?

One possible thing is a student teacher may be taking over one of my classes (then trusted co-workers will take over the rest) ... So what would you do in that situation?

3. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Apr 5, 2009

I knew my long term sub. He was the student teacher from across the hall earlier in the year, so he knew the rest of the team. I showed him where I was in all subjects and how to use my grade program and procedures. That was it.

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2009

Legally, here you do not have to plan. A lot of teachers I know have left outlines (ex: teach xyz chapters, xyz skills etc) and left the day to day up to the long-term sub. Others have left plans. I think it is up to you and how comfortable you are with them. I personally would probably plan, just because I teach a testing grade.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2009

For me it would depend on the sub. My subject is pretty unusual, so I would want a sub who knew it. If he or she did know it, I would probably just leave some sort of outline with the major topics that need to be covered, plus access to my handouts, notes, etc.

If the sub didn't know my subject, I'd plan for every single day. I'd hate to return to find that my classes had made zero progress and just watched movies or something for three months.

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 5, 2009

I would probably plan everything for the first 2 or 3 weeks, then leave outlines after that. It is just too unpredictable, especially with a sub, that what I leave will get covered. I wouldn't want to waste all that time, if the sub wasn't able to use them anyway.

If there was a specific way that I wanted a unit or lesson taught, I would leave instructions for that, to be used when they were ready for it.

When I had my last maternity leave, my sub was very green. 'Course, so was I-it was my first year teaching, and I had my daughter on the second day of school! I didn't know what to do, so I would plan for 2 weeks, then come back up to school, plan for another 2 weeks, etc. I will NEVER do that again-if I'm on leave, I want to be on leave. Hopefully, we will be having another within the next year (if only Mother Nature would cooperate!), and I plan on leaving an outline and list of goals.