Maternity Leave Interview

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by BB0211, Feb 6, 2012.

1. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Feb 6, 2012

Hello All!

It's been some time since I've posted and it's GREAT to be back. :)

I've left my old district (my husband and I relocated), am currently in graduate school, and am seeking my next elementary position! I'm so excited to get back into the classroom...I can hardly wait.

I have an interview Wednesday at a WONDERFUL district, located 5 minutes from me. (Dreaming?!) The position is in 3rd grade and will cover the entire month of May and possibly trickle back into April.

I do have 4 years of experience teaching 3rd grade (1 year) and 4th grade (3 years) within the last 5 years to draw from and build upon. I do not have any experience covering maternity leaves or subbing. Any other tips on nailing this interview that I may not have thought of??

Thanks so much for all your positive energy and vibes! :)

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2012

When I was interviewing subs for my leave, it was important for me to hear that the candidates wanted to spend time shadowing me and getting to know the routines and classroom before taking over. I also liked hearing that their priority was to make the transition seemless for the children as it can be unsettling to them.

Unfortunately, most districts don't have the funding to pay someone to come in much before the leave starts. However, if your schedule allows and you can afford to volunteer it would be beneficial to everyone for you to offer to spend as much time in the classroom prior to takeover. (it would also be a good experience for you since you'll be seeking a full time job).

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2012

We recently hired my maternity leave sub and hearing that they wanted to keep the transition as easy for the children as possible was key. I wasn't looking for someone with all their own ideas as far as how things should run in a classroom. I really wanted someone who would keep things as similar to how I run them now (as it has been successful for my students). I was also looking for someone who could manage a classroom, so that I do not have to come back to kids who forgot how to follow rules while I was gone.

5. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Feb 7, 2012

Thank you both for your feedback!

Ok, I believe the interview may ask me some general questions.
    i.e. How do you teach reading, manage a classroom, etc.?

How I do it may differ from the teacher...Would it be appropriate to ask the teacher in the interview how SHE does it? And make it more conversational then so we can discuss how she/I do and how I would adjust to do it the way she has done it. (I hope that makes sense) :)

Thanks!

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2012

I would be prepared to answer the questions as given, but then state that you are flexible and want to follow what is being done in the classroom.

If the teacher is in the interview, I think it would be okay to ask her about how she teaches, but she may not be in the interview. She also may not want to share too much until you get the job.

7. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Feb 8, 2012

Thank you both for your support. :)

The interview went VERY well and, from what I have heard, I am in the top 3. The principal mentioned she would contact my references and let me know by early next week! So....we'll see!

Thanks again :)

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2012

Congrats! Good luck and I hope you hear back soon!

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2012

Glad to hear it went well! Hope you hear some good news soon!

10. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Apr 10, 2012

Success!

I landed the maternity leave cover! It's a great district, so I am super excited. Also, with my doctorate starting in the Fall, I am not sure if I will have the time or opportunity to teach FT then, so it is great to have this chance to get back into the classroom while I can! :)

Question for all the experience/creative:

Any ideas for sending a letter of introduction? (What to include, not to include, ways to impress parents...other than by being yourself :) )

I was thinking about creating a BRIEF survey to ask the parents to share with me, perhaps, one small goal their child and I can focus on for the final month of school (the duration of my cover).
    Thoughts?

Also, one of my strengths is creating challenges extensions for students' learning...so perhaps, I will share this and see if any parents are interested in supplemental activities for after school or summer.

Thoughts?

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2012

Congrats!

Sending home a brief survey is definitely a good idea so you can get to know the kids and parents, too. An intro letter could tell them a bit about yourself, your teaching background, and your hopes for the remainder of the year. I know my school does summer reading and math packets, but definitely reach out to the parents and see who might be interested in additional activities.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2012

Congrats! I would be sure to reassure the parents that you will try to keep things as similar as possible. Give them your educational background and contact info. I would also include some hobbies or ways for the kids to connect with you.