Maternity Leave in September

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ssgirl11, Jul 31, 2019.

1. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Jul 31, 2019

Hi everyone!
    I will be going on maternity leave for 6 weeks at the beginning of September. That means I will be in school for about 2-3 weeks. My sub is the teacher who retired and I replaced, so I know my class is in good hands, but I'm still extremely nervous about leaving so early in the year. Has anyone experienced this or have any advice on how to make the transition easier?

3. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2019

How many years have you been the teacher?
    On my maternity, I left a weeks worth of lesson plans as well as my curriculum pacing guide for each subject for him/her to follow. When I returned the class was very close to my anticipated pace.
    Because Daily 5 CAFE takes me 4-8 weeks to get running properly depending on the year, I would also need to meet with him/her on continuing that set up. Hopefully the sub used some of the same things you did!!!

4. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Aug 2, 2019

I've been a teacher for 3 years now! I teach 7th grade SS, so of course my content is very specific. I feel like I need to leave lesson plans for all 6 weeks, but it's so overwhelming! I'm about to just print out last year's plans, and make no changes.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 2, 2019

I did a 3 month leave replacement for ELA starting the first day of school and I was left no lesson plans. Just an outline of what material was to be covered.

6. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Aug 2, 2019

In my area a LTS would create his/her own plans after about a week.

Don’t sweat being out. Your baby needs you, and the class will be fine. I was out on doctor-ordered maternity leave from October through mid January, and it all worked out.

Backroads and MrsC like this.
  7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2019

If you like what you did in the past, leave that as a guideline or at least as a structure?
    Or if you are comfortable with the previous teacher, maybe see if he/she is eager to take over the units?
    I know I would not write the whole 6 weeks, That is part of why they are hired.

Backroads and Aces like this.
  8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Companion

Aug 3, 2019

I took Family Medical Leave for an extended period of time. I had a really good sub like you. I did leave 2- 3 weeks of sub plans because I had a feeling I'd need to take time off about a month in advance.
    Since my sub was a retired teacher, she took it from there. Plus, I had a a fellow teacher, who is friends with both of us, who helped a lot too.
    The only real problem I saw when I returned was with classroom behaviors and routines. I think that is pretty normal when you've been gone. When you return, just be prepared to reteach your expectations a lot depending on what type of class you have.
    One thing I did that I think helped was told the students that I was going to be out. I told them what I would be looking for when I returned. Enjoy every moment of your 6 weeks with your new baby.

9. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Aug 3, 2019

I know a teacher that started school/worked for a week and then went on maternity leave for 6 weeks!
    Her LTS also started on the first day with her so it would be a smooth transition for the kids, and the sub got to know the kids and rules and routine before the teacher left.

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 11, 2019

My district offers transition days for LTS, one the day or so before they take over the class and another when the teacher is ready to return. On these days both adults are in the classroom so they have a chance to communicate about needs, routines, etc. Does your district do anything like this?

bella84 likes this.