Maternity leave for first month of school! Help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by summersun61, May 19, 2010.

1. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

May 19, 2010

Hey everyone!

I will be on maternity leave for the first month of school. I don't even know where to begin on how to plan for my sub... I need her to set up all my routines for me and get all that beginning of year stuff handled. I'll be in second grade next year. Any ideas on how to get started with this? what can I do now to prepare for her? Oh yeah, I'm moving rooms this summer too!

3. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

May 19, 2010

First thing that pops in my mind is break up what you want your sub to teach into categories. For example, it could include:

Routines
    -- Lesson 1
    -- Lesson 2
    -- Lesson 3

Discipline
    -- Lesson 1
    -- Lesson 2
    -- Lesson 3

Important Rules
    -- Lesson 1
    -- Lesson 2
    -- Lesson 3

Instruction
    -- Topic 1
    <> Lesson 1
    <> Lesson 2
    <> Lesson 3
    -- Topic 2
    <> Lesson 1
    <> Lesson 2
    <> Lesson 3

Something to that effect. I think breaking it up into different components would help out the sub a lot and help prepare the class to how you want it to be when you arrive afterwards.

4. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

May 19, 2010

Also, when you come back, it will be like the first day of school all over again so you will be able to set up how you want things done in your class.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 19, 2010

First of all, congratulations on your new arrival!

Second, school will go on. It will be just fine. Students are very adaptable. As MissSkippy said, you will do things differently than your sub, so I suggest making things as easy as possible on the sub. You will be able to transition to "your" system when you get back. If you can, meet with your sub early and often so you are both on the same page. He or she may have some good input as to what s/he sees as strengths. Allowing him/her to have some control will put that person at ease, and will make it better for you also.

Find out what your school's policy, or tradition, is regarding lesson plans. Some schools want every detail written out for the whole time (I hope you aren't in one of those), others prefer an outline of the time, still others say let the sub do the planning. Personally, I planned for about 2 weeks, then created a general outline. The sub knew how I wanted things done, and just took the lead.

My second daughter was born on the second day of my first year of teaching. It was pretty awful-I didn't even know what I would do if I WAS there, let alone telling a sub with many more years experience than I what to do! But I got through it! You will too!

6. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

May 20, 2010

I'll be off on maternity leave too! I'm planning on packing up most of my personal items at the end of the year and locking them in a closet until I return. Of course, I'm hoping to take the entire year off. I had a bad experience with my first maternity leave and my room and personal stuff was trashed!

I agree with the pp, school will go on! You will make it work!:) Congrats! When are you due? I'm due July 31st.