maternity leave first 3 months

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by mjennings, Aug 12, 2011.

1. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Aug 12, 2011

I'm just wondering any of you have started the school year on maternity leave. If so how was it for you and what kinda things did you do to know your students. do you have any suggestions or ideas

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2011

Congratulations!!!!

Not a maternity leave, but I did have a mastectomy 7 days into the school year 3 years ago; I was out for a month.
    I teach high school, so things are different.

But my sub observed and started taking over my classes during those first 6 days. Then I left it all in his hands-- things got incredibly hectic at home, as we lost my father in law 10 days after my surgery.

In one respect I was lucky (well, actually several, but one that applies here_): I had taught about a third of the kids 2 years prior.

When I did go out on maternity leave in 1999, I left very detailed plans. My Calculus and Precalc classes were being picked up by people not terribly familiar with the material. So I laid out a suggested day by day plan. They all ended wthin a day or so of each other 6 weeks later when I returned to school.

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2011

I gave a brief timeline for each subject.

5. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2011

Stay home and cuddle with your baby......worry about school when it gets closer. I'm sure you can go and visit with the kids and sub once it gets closer to you going back to work. For now, worry about your family......the time is so precious and it goes so fast! Congrats!