Maternity leave during first year?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by shrinkingviolet, Oct 20, 2005.

1. shrinkingviolet

shrinkingviolet Rookie

Oct 20, 2005

Hi everyone. I was pregnant while beginning my student teaching, and we lost the baby. We would like to try again, but are trying to figure out the options for work, etc. Has anyone here had their baby during their first year of teaching? If so, how did you manage it? Did you lose your job because of this, or get asked not to come back? Because of the one miscarriage, I worry about having another. I want to interview for jobs, so that I am working as much as I can. However, I don't want to interview if taking a job then needing time off to have the baby would give the district a bad impression. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

3. Mom2Sarah

Mom2Sarah Rookie

Oct 20, 2005

Violet,
    I was pregnant when I interviewed for my current job. Not just newly pregnant but a few weeks from having my daughter. I was just up front with the district that I interviewed with. I knew they could not ask me about my pregnancy so I told them what I had planned for the up and coming year. I was due August 14 and school started one week after my due date. I let the school know I would take six weeks from the delivery of my baby and then would be back to work. I also come into work the very first day of school to talk with my sub and to meet my students. I brought pictures of my daughter and told them I'd see them in four weeks.
    Of course it was hard to go back to work in six weeks but my job was important to me and my family. I have to make money to give my daughter all of the things she needs and wants. I think school districts realize when they hire young women that babies are part of the package. It was my policy to be truthful and it worked very well for me. Administrator often appreciate being told things up front so that there are no surprises in the future. I'm sure your new employer will not be that surprised that a young women wants to start a family. Just remember you are not the only teacher ever to have to take maternity leave. ;)
    Good Luck with you new job and your pregnancy!

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 21, 2005

I have never had a baby but a lot of people where I worked had babies. The special ed teacher had a baby when she was in as a long term sub. She took 6 weeks off and then came back. The school hired her full time when the other special ed teacher resigned. I don't think it's legal for them to hold it against you. Most teachers take pregnancy leave. I think it's just a given. So as long as your good at your job which I am sure you will be, then they will renew your contract. Good luck! I hope you have a baby on the way soon.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2005

Been there done that. I was hired & shortly there after found out I was pregnant!!! I took 6 wks, unfortunately you can't get FMLA or paid for your 6wks. It wasn't that big of a deal. I talked to the long term sub & kept in contact with her and she would call me.

Violet, they can't ask you about pregnancy during the interview. I would just do it. If you find out you are just let them know so they can plan as well.

GOOD LUCK IN BOTH!!!

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 21, 2005

I'm sorry for your loss. Having had several myself, I can understand your worry. The first year of teaching is very stressful, especially the first few months, but I have known over five teachers that I can think of off the top of my head who were pregnant during the first year. A few weren't very good the first year since they couldn't spend time getting as organized as they needed to be while others were dynamos! Ask your husband/significant other if he will help you with bulletin boards, grading papers, filing heavy boxes of paper, and other things you will need to do in the classroom so you can take care of yourself and your baby. Good luck in growing a healthy baby, and with your first year of teaching.