Maternity leave chaos: Help!

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by basswife, Aug 13, 2008.

1. basswife

basswife Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I had a baby on July 28th and am therefore missing the first part of school. Our students started full time on Monday and that day the sub e-mailed me to let me know I had about 4 students that might be a problem. I checked in via e-mail with her today and apparently they are still causing her and the activity teachers (PE, music, and art) problems. The principal talked with them and it did not phase them.

I am planning on going in tomorrow to see if I can take care of this mess before it gets much larger. Our school system is unique in that the students go on break for a big celebration that takes the city over the last week of August. The sub only has to get through next Thurs (Aug. 21st). I plan on going back to class the day after Labor Day.

Can you suggest ANYTHING that I can put into place tomorrow? I want something that the students will believe will be followed through. I had planned on implementing something like the Classroom Economy system when I returned, but I have got to have something now!

I appreciate any help that you can give me!

3. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 14, 2008

I would let it go until next week. You notified the principal and the other teachers are licensed teachers, they should know how to handle difficult students. Have parents been called? This sub should be taking care of this herself. This is your maternity leave. I don't think you want your first time meeting these students to be negative. Good luck!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2008

I agree with dizzy; I wouldn't go in. The teacher who is now with the class is responsible for them; it is up to her and the principal to handle any situations that are arising now. If you go in to deal with discipline, it will take away all of her authority and the last couple of days could be worse instead of better. You will need to be prepared that you may need to come in with a "heavy hand" when you return. Enjoy your last couple of weeks of leave.

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 20, 2008

I think instead of going in--- for the reasons listed above from others--- perhaps you could discuss with the sub what she should be doing to help these students learn how to be better students. Perhaps this situation will be a good learning experience for her--- she just might need your help on what to do.

Good luck though--- I think it'll probably be easier for you to make changes once you're there full-time. Then again, sometimes students just want to be a pain and there's not much we can do about it.